starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Press:Bench ratio, preventing getting stuck, etc.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    Not using the collars will help if you have to dump it. The safeties are more for catastrophic failures and really are a must. The bench/press ratio really doesn't matter. How long are you taking between sets? Microloading might be a good idea if 5# jumps are too much, especially since the total weight isn't that high. You are adding a larger percentage of weight each session, so adding 2.5# might be the better option. Make sure your sleep and nutrition is on point too.
    I am upgrading my setup to one that include safety arms, should be here later this week. My next bench session (Wednesday) will be at a time when I'm not alone, and I'll have safety arms by the session after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McAnally View Post

Bench: 105 --> 125 (130 is on-deck for this Friday)

I admit I'm nervous about failing bench - I don't have a spotter, and just a squat stand (no safety arms). I would rather do 5, 5, 4 (not sure about 5th), rest, then 1 more rep (then smaller increase next time), than have to bail on the fifth rep.
    To play the devil's advocate, is 130 really gonna kill you if you fail? People fail much more (not trying to be condescending) onto their belly's then just roll it to the hip, sit up/stand up, lower the bar and get on with their lives. Caution is good but if you fear the weight is gonna fall on your face/windpipe then your form should probably be tweaked first.

Also, as a lifter: You need to learn how to fail. It's gonna happen eventually. I would rather fail my squat in a rack, getting taco'd than have a spotter assist with finishing the lift. Same in bench, any weight I'm doing volume work at I would rather have to roll off my belly and look silly than have a shitty spotter assist me before I need it. Fails happen, sometimes randomly. If you can deal with it without relying on a spotter you will have more productive training sessions more often.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    To play the devil's advocate, is 130 really gonna kill you if you fail? People fail much more (not trying to be condescending) onto their belly's then just roll it to the hip, sit up/stand up, lower the bar and get on with their lives. Caution is good but if you fear the weight is gonna fall on your face/windpipe then your form should probably be tweaked first.

Also, as a lifter: You need to learn how to fail. It's gonna happen eventually. I would rather fail my squat in a rack, getting taco'd than have a spotter assist with finishing the lift. Same in bench, any weight I'm doing volume work at I would rather have to roll off my belly and look silly than have a shitty spotter assist me before I need it. Fails happen, sometimes randomly. If you can deal with it without relying on a spotter you will have more productive training sessions more often.
    Ah, a deal with the devil! Haha.

I went ahead and upgraded my rig, so I now have safety arms. I can “fail safely” now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    This is really a stupid remark. The fact that people fail much more onto their bellies than their throats and faces acknowledges the fact that people fail onto their throats and faces. You people know not to bench without protection, and you know why. Decide correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12