starting strength gym

Thread: NLP and minor schedule adjustments

Default NLP and minor schedule adjustments

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm on week 4 of NLP, early novice on most lifts, except for chins (advanced novice, 2x/week), and deadlift (2x/week). I've made minor modifications to NLP to do more chins, but nothing that I haven't read about in SS articles.

So, my "normal schedule" is:
    Monday/Friday: Squat, PressOfTheDay, Deadlift, Chins
    Wednesday: Squat, PressOfTheDay, then I use the extra time to try and fix a technique issue using a light weight that doesn't cause a stress cycle.

But sometimes, I need to replace the Monday workout with a Sunday workout.

That makes the separation between Friday/Sunday two days. If I want to try to keep a three-day separation between deadlift/chin sessions, I get a schedule like this, and I lose a deadlift/chin day that week:
    Sunday/Friday: Squat, PressOfTheDay, Technique
    Wednesday: Squat, PressOfTheDay, Deadlift, Chins

Is that the proper strategy? Is there a better way that would let me deadlift and chin twice that week (perhaps a fourth workout that week?) Are there any other suggestions for handling the Sunday/Monday replacement?

I'm 90% certain that I can't benefit from heavy chins 3x/week - I was doing chins for 7 weeks before starting NLP, so it's squarely in the advanced novice camp and gains have slowed siginficantly. Deadlift might still be possible, I may have gone to 2x/week a little early.

And, since folks always ask:
    Age 47
    Weight 179 lb
    Squat 165 lb
    Press 87.5 lb
    Deadlift 250 lb
    Bench 152.5 lb
    Chin 185.5x5x3, including bodyweight

-->Adam

How is it possible that you're on week 4 of your novice progression when you been posting here since June?

NLP is a good plan, but things don't always go according to plan.

Training logs:

Initial NLP, failed due to technique:
    Want to quit feeling like crap and improve diabetes...

Working on technique:
    10-week pre-NLP plan (A.K.A. watch me do everything wrong!)

Hernia surgery, recovery and chins:
    8-week surgery recovery log (no lifting)

Current log (NLP):
    Resolution 2019 - Get Stronger

Adam, how frequently do you see yourself needing to switch Monday to Sunday? What happens if you just do the workout as scheduled? I realize it is 24 hours less rest, but still it is 48 hours or so. If you are really concerned about form and recovery time, deadlift is probably the bigger lift to recover from. Perhaps keep the workout the same, but reduce the deadlift weight to 90-95% of Friday.

so, you are going A B A, in one week, and then the next week, A B A again? Wouldn't you deadlift 3 times every two weeks, rather than twice per week, or ABA - BAB. which is what the program calls for? Or are you doing something modified by a coach?