Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on pressing movements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    Cool. A few questions:

1. How do I find what works?
    2. How long do you think it takes to "find what works"?
    3. Will it work forever? If not, how do I find the next thing that works?
    Well, since inflection is difficult to decipher through text alone and I can’t tell if you’re trying to be a smartass or not, I’ll offer these suggestions respectfully:

1. Research, experimentation, data logging and repetition.

2. A long time. Ask anyone who’s done this before. Ask Rip and others how long it took to gather all of the information in SSBBT. That’s just one example.

3. Probably not and repeat step 1.

... Everyone wants to program in the simplest way possible. This doesn't mean that you get to assume what variables are useless.
    You truly believe this?

Please, at least attempt to do the math to the best of your ability, then decide if you still want to make that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hutson View Post
    Well, since inflection is difficult to decipher through text alone and I can’t tell if you’re trying to be a smartass or not, I’ll offer these suggestions respectfully:

1. Research, experimentation, data logging and repetition.

2. A long time. Ask anyone who’s done this before. Ask Rip and others how long it took to gather all of the information in SSBBT. That’s just one example.

3. Probably not and repeat step 1.
    So you agree that using data gathered by other people (Rip and others) could be useful? If so, wouldn't you want the best possible data? How much time do you think you have to waste if you want be as strong as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by 凤凰来仪 View Post
    You truly believe this?

Please, at least attempt to do the math to the best of your ability, then decide if you still want to make that statement.
    Or you could just show us your math instead, so we can understand what you are talking about.

What happened in the past few decades that made most people decide to argue and bicker about what works best, instead of just figuring it out themselves? Are some people just too chickenshit to try? Maybe too scared to fail? I'd like to know.

Some of you need to turn off the computer, stop analyzing every detail and aspect of this stuff and just lift weights. Find out what works for you and keep doing it. Eat your wheaties, shut your mouth and lift your weights.
    This is true, but also to be honest, even if someone is trying, hard, and doing a legit program with max effort, that still only has them in the gym 2 hours a day, only 3 or 4 days a week. And the rest of the time they're sitting on their buts at an office job which gives them 10 hours of work to do each 40 hours week, and so they spend a bunch of time browsing forums and debating with people. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not putting in the work. I'm basically addicted to this forum, though i don't ever really argue or debate, moreso ask for advice and then get told to stop talking so much.. but that doesn't mean I'm doing the paralysis by analysis thing. I have been doing the program strict for 7 weeks now, and non-strict for like 4 months, and have worked my ass off and never missed one single workout. But, i still do spend way too much time on the forum just trying to discuss discuss discuss, stuff that probably doesn't even need to be discussed. It's just fun to talk about my hobby with other like minded people.

So you agree that using data gathered by other people (Rip and others) could be useful? If so, wouldn't you want the best possible data? How much time do you think you have to waste if you want be as strong as possible?
    Yes, I agree it could be useful but you wont know until YOU experiment with said data. Yes, I would prefer the best possible data. You have to consume many hours of your life to get as strong as possible. Is it a waste? That depends on your perspective. To me, it is certainly no more of a waste of time than this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    This is true, but also to be honest, even if someone is trying, hard, and doing a legit program with max effort, that still only has them in the gym 2 hours a day, only 3 or 4 days a week. And the rest of the time they're sitting on their buts at an office job which gives them 10 hours of work to do each 40 hours week, and so they spend a bunch of time browsing forums and debating with people. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not putting in the work. I'm basically addicted to this forum, though i don't ever really argue or debate, moreso ask for advice and then get told to stop talking so much.. but that doesn't mean I'm doing the paralysis by analysis thing. I have been doing the program strict for 7 weeks now, and non-strict for like 4 months, and have worked my ass off and never missed one single workout. But, i still do spend way too much time on the forum just trying to discuss discuss discuss, stuff that probably doesn't even need to be discussed. It's just fun to talk about my hobby with other like minded people.
    There's no shame in enjoying the company of like minded individuals. It usually allows for great conversation and meaningful insight into shared experiences. But sometimes, it turns into a heaping pile of nonsense, like this thread, because people try so hard to be "right" all the time that they forget what they're here for. My main point was to remind people that there was a time when you'd have to figure all of this stuff out on your own, not sit behind a keyboard, ask a question, and expect a wealth of knowledge and help in reply, because you feel you're entitled to it, then get upset that it didn't work for you.

What happened in the past few decades that made most people decide to argue and bicker about what works best, instead of just figuring it out themselves? Are some people just too chickenshit to try? Maybe too scared to fail? I'd like to know.

Some of you need to turn off the computer, stop analyzing every detail and aspect of this stuff and just lift weights. Find out what works for you and keep doing it. Eat your wheaties, shut your mouth and lift your weights.
    This is probably one of the best posts in this thread but...…..without all the theory and debate these forums wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Or you could just show us your math instead, so we can understand what you are talking about.

I can't teach you to walk if you are unwilling to take a step.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I agree it could be useful but you wont know until YOU experiment with said data. Yes, I would prefer the best possible data. You have to consume many hours of your life to get as strong as possible. Is it a waste? That depends on your perspective. To me, it is certainly no more of a waste of time than this conversation.
    If you agree that you would prefer to experiment with the best possible data, then how can a thread about correctness of a given training model be a waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by 凤凰来仪 View Post
    I can't teach you to walk if you are unwilling to take a step.
    I have a decent experience in data analysis, and I thought you were going to provide some data after your original claim. I guess I was wrong, and you don't really have any.

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast