starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell for cyclist - ATP

Default Barbell for cyclist - ATP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I’m 43 years old MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra), amateur cyclist (Road and MTB).
    And I want to use barbell and base exercises to build whole body strength for pedaling and to prevent from bad influence of bike body position (especially road bike), and unnatural muscle work (extended back, imbalanced muscle load).

From December to end of march I train in the gym two times per week.
    Tuesday and Thursday – gym (from 2019 according Starting Strength book). Saturday and Sunday 1,5-2h aerobic endurance training (cycling, Nordic sky, depends on weather). Total working time per 6-7h/week.

From April I start strength workouts on bike (low cadence uphill ride) and I’d like to use gym for strength maintenance (One day per week will be enough?). Until october. What is strongly recommended for cyclists after 40’. Total working time for this period it’s about 10h/week. Every third week it’s a easy week for recovery.

Can You give me some advice? How to create good strength build and maintenance program? How much sets, repetitions? And how to increase strength without getting heavier? What You thing about additional exercises like Bulgarian squat, culf rises?

I will be very grateful for any suggestions and opinions.
    Best regards from Poland

How good, or bad will be this program:

A (Tuesday, lite day for legs after weekend cycling)
    1. Squat
    2. Bench press
    3. Back extension
    4. Chis ups

B (Thursday hard day for legs)
    1. Squat
    2. Press
    3. Dead lift
    4. Bulgarian squat (not too much for legs?)

And maintenance program:
    1. Squat or Bulgarian squat
    2. Press or Bench press
    3. Deadlift or back extensions
    4. Chin ups

How about you do the one in the book we translated for you?

I reed this book, and try to following by the general idea of strenght training. Reps and series like in Tab 8.1. And all time I try to learn correct technique. Bigest problem for me it's catch position in power clean.
    After few weeks without additional exercises like chin ups, now I'm in the moment when my deadlift load it's bigger than squat. And I wondering what will be best for me as a cyclist.

If you are a cyclist who is training for strength with barbells, you are already ahead, because most cyclists will not train anywhere except on the bicycle. Your deadlift should be stronger than your squat. Post your squat video and let us check your tecnique.

starting strength coach development program
    They working with barbells but mostly in winter. Like I reed in Joe Friel book (endurance trainer), cyclist after 40's should lift whole year. And I plan to do it.
    Thank You for Your answer. I will try to record my squat and send it to check.
    Regards,