starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting stronger as a "bodybuilder"

Default Getting stronger as a "bodybuilder"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 17, 187 cm (6'2 ft), 93kg (205 lbs) and I've been lifting since one and half a years ago.

Long Story:

I started at 15, 184 cm (6 ft), 60kg (135 lbs), I was anorexic and extremely weak, with kyphosis (rounded shoulders), due to weakness in thoracic area. I had a "PT" who gave me a program with a very high volume machine work, it obviously did give me some results, but not for long.

Hence I switched to a bodybuilding program that I found on bodybuilding.com, called Viking's Bare Bone Series, it had three different routines: full body, upper/lower split and upper/lower/push/pull/legs split. You can view it here (so that I don't fill too much space). Full body program was the one that I started with, and after I kinda stalled at such volume, I switched onto a upper/lower split with higher volume.

This is how my compounds progressed since the full "Viking's Bare Bone Series novice program" for 10 months:

Deadlift 2x6 with 60kg (135lbs) --> Deadlift 2x6 with 110kg (242 lbs)
    Squat ("high-bar") 4x(12, 10, 8, 6) with 40kg (88 lbs) --> Squat ("high-bar") 4x(12, 10, 8, 6) with 80kg (176lbs)
    Bench Press 4x(12, 10, 8, 6) with 40kg (88 lbs) --> Bench Press 4x(12, 10, 8, 6) with 75kg (165 lbs)
    Overhead Press 3x(9, 8, 8) with 20kg (44 lbs) --> Overhead Press 3x(9, 8, 8) with 40kg (88 lbs)

As you can see, even though I had some progression, I'm still quite weak for my size. High volume work did give me good amount of mass, but I also need a strength that matches my size.

I was able to get rid of my postural kyphosis completely after getting my back stronger with barbell rows, deadlifts and pullups. But considering that kyphosis was probably also structural, I still have a hunchback when I bend over. For example, when I do deadlifts, my lumbar vertebrae almost always remains straight, but my thoracic spine bends (hence my deadlift looks similar to the one of Konstantin Konstantinovs, while my strength is less than quarter of his).

Briefly:

So I'm basically a kid who was very skinny and increased good amount of mass with bodybuilding program. I'm familiar with all the compound lifts and I do all of them the way Mark Rippetoe advocates (except the squat due to my lack of thoracic mobility, but that's for another thread perhaps). I just want to get strong so that all the muscle that I've put on is functional.

How do I start? Should I go back to a starting strength program? or do a Texas method? Is there in the middle those two? I don't know whether I'm novice or not, my linear progression on high-volume work is long gone, but my compounds are still quite weak.

Thank you!

If you care about strength - and you should - run the LP as written. Make sure you’ve read the blue book, and preferably Practical Programming as well. Recent Barbell Logic podcast episode with Andy Baker is worth a listen.

You will probably need to eat more. 205 is not light, but it’s not going to be enough to get you very strong at this level of advancement. I’d aim to finish LP at 220 or higher, and I know there are people here who would argue for much more weight, maybe 240 or 250.

As you’ve noticed, your current weights are not good for your age and training age. If you do a proper LP, you can lift much more than this within a few months.

Learn to low-bar squat. It’s not impossible that you can’t do it, but it’s highly unlikely.

Do SSLP.

There are tons of people on here that have been able to squeak out more progress on an LP even after training for awhile. The answer is usually when in doubt, run an LP.

Nothing wrong a more advanced lifter using a higher rep scheme. For instance, there is a huge difference in the amount of stress that is applied between a lifter squatting 405x10x3 and a lifter who is squatting 225x10x3. I don’t think anyone here would debate that. But, in the former case, the stronger lifter didn’t get to that point by squatting 10 rep sets exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    If you care about strength - and you should - run the LP as written. Make sure you’ve read the blue book, and preferably Practical Programming as well. Recent Barbell Logic podcast episode with Andy Baker is worth a listen.

You will probably need to eat more. 205 is not light, but it’s not going to be enough to get you very strong at this level of advancement. I’d aim to finish LP at 220 or higher, and I know there are people here who would argue for much more weight, maybe 240 or 250.

As you’ve noticed, your current weights are not good for your age and training age. If you do a proper LP, you can lift much more than this within a few months.

Learn to low-bar squat. It’s not impossible that you can’t do it, but it’s highly unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Do SSLP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    There are tons of people on here that have been able to squeak out more progress on an LP even after training for awhile. The answer is usually when in doubt, run an LP.
    Thanks a lot for response guys! What does LP stand for? Is LP the same thing as the first phase of starting strength program?

Also, I apologize if this is an ignorant and immature question, but will I be able to maintain my "aesthetics"? I don't have abs or any good muscle definition due to my body fat (it's around 17-18%), but due to the hypertrophy I have increased muscular volume. My goal is to reach 225 lbs (100kg) and then very gradually balance out the bodyfat (I'm not looking for scrawny abs, but I am not looking to get too fat either). I have seen a video called "Why Fives for Strength Training?" by Brent Carter, and I believe even for me, 5 rep range is sufficient for good hypertrophy.

Yes, do the program as written. No triceps extensions, no calf raises, no planks...

Quote Originally Posted by ShellRox View Post
    Thanks a lot for response guys! What does LP stand for? Is LP the ame thing as the first phase of starting strength program?
    LP=Linear Progression
    Basically, yes, it's the Starting Strength program

Just commit to a good solid effort on the LP for 12-16 weeks and then shift your programming to meet your individual goals. If your goals are mass and physique you’ll have a better outcome if you start that sort of training with a well established base of strength

starting strength coach development program
    Andy put a real nice bodybuilding template up a few years ago I think you would enjoy immensely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast