starting strength gym

Thread: Next Deadlift Session

Default Next Deadlift Session

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach!

Simple question, and obviously I searched the forum first, but came up with a lot of contradictory info...

I struggled with my deadlift setup for a while (especially setting the back hard, but also correctly using the belt), but once I got the knack of it I was able to make several 5kg jumps. Last week I pulled 145kg x 5 with good form, today at 150kg I did get all 5 reps, but form was less than perfect, and on the last one I rounded my upper back slightly. It seems clear to me it's time to switch to 2.5kg jumps, but I am not sure whether next time I should just do 152.5kg, repeat 150kg or indeed go back to 147.5kg or 145kg (my last "clean" weight). I don't want to be greedy and get stuck, but neither do I want to waste time...

I am: 31 years old, 98kg, 181cm
    Squat: 130kg
    Press: 48kg
    Bench: 65kg
    Deadlift: 150kg

I am trying to run out the NLP after switching to a modified/maintenance program during the cycling season. I don't currently train my cycling, I will resume once I am an intermediate.

Thank you, and by the way I think your input on the forums is great, I really appreciate it!

I'd go up to 152.5x5 and see what happens. Are you filming and basing your evaluation of what happened based on that, or solely from how it felt? When I was a new-ish lifter getting reasonably strong but not yet *that* experienced, I remember being sure my back was rounding when it wasn't. I'd be lifting with friends and they'd say it was fine. Good cameras weren't available on phones yet so I just wasn't sure. Subsequent technological advances allowed me to discover that my friends were right, and any rounding was either in my head or so minor as to be negligible.

Thank you coach, I will do that. I was going on feeling, but I see your point, I'll try and film my next session. Still, even if it was just a feeling, you concur that it's time to move to 2,5kg jumps right?

Yes.

So, I wanted to report my results so the thread might be useful for future reference.

Unfortunately I got sick and could not eat enough, so today the strength just wasn't there. I missed my third set of squats, the press was excruciatingly slow, and I decided to put 147.5 kg on the bar for the deadlift. I got 5 acceptable if somewhat belaboured reps, but in the context that's pretty much meaningless... still, thank you very much for your advice, and I'll keep at it!

Davide

I appreciate your follow-up, but - and maybe you're just not experienced enough to know this yet if you're still on LP - your actual results are completely useless for any type of collection into data of larger conclusions, because you got sick (and couldn't eat enough).

Yes, that's what I meant : to apologize for not being able to provide a useful follow up. I guess my english needs as much work as my lifts... 😀

starting strength coach development program
    No worries man. Not your fault.