starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate Press Transition

Default Intermediate Press Transition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Wolf,

I believe that I'm near or at the end of LP for my presses and my question is concerning programming as I transition into an intermediate phase. Because of osteoarthritis in my AC Joint, and per Rip's instruction, I do not bench press. I only perform Squats, Presses, & DL while training 3 times a week. My last set of presses was today: one set of 160lbs x 5 with 2 backoff sets of 5 @ 152.5 lbs. I've been taking 2.5lbs jumps every other training session with light days @ 80% between. To clarify, I'm pressing every session because I do not bench. I feel like I may need to change programming because on this last session I nearly failed on the first set, spending quite bit a of time locking out. Even if I continue on LP until I actually fail, I feel like a programming change is in my near future and it would likely happen on my next heavy day (Friday).

For further context, each day that I PR on presses, I'm also PR'ing on squats beforehand as the light/heavy days coincide for the two lifts. The squats really drain me, and I feel like I could squeeze out a bit more with presses if they had their own "day" where they were prioritized. But I don't think that's an option because, in order to accomplish that, I would have to sacrifice my squat progress. My inclination is to drop down to 3's as suggested as an option in practical programming, but I'd prefer the input of an experienced coach to help me decide the best move here.

Weight: 195lbs.
    Height: 5'8"
    Presses: 1x5@ 160lbs.
    Squats: 2x5@ 300lbs.
    DL: 1x5@ 355 lbss

Thank you for your time and I'm happy to provide further information if necessary.

Obviously the solution is to start benching - that's what you were hoping I'd say, right?

Ok, seriously - I think if your squat is still humming nicely along on the LP and keeping the same schedule is helpful for you, start pressing first, switch to five sets of 3, or both.

Thanks for the advice!

It didn't even cross my mind that you might suggest bench pressing. I miss it and I hope that somehow I can get back to it one day. But judging from how my shoulder feels lately, I don't know if it's in the cards. I'm also afraid the problem isn't limited to the AC joint alone. But, I can press with little or no pain and I plan to continue doing so for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Greg Snider; 02-12-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Ah I'm sorry man, I thought my sarcasm was apparent about the bench comment but clearly it wasn't. I was just riffing on your making exceptionally clear that you can't bench.