starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery, cutting and programming.

Default Recovery, cutting and programming.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm on a slight calories deficit to get my rapidly expanding belly under control. Santana agreed that this was a good idea as I had gone past the 40" health zone.

I train 3 days a week modified old man HLM as in the Barbell Prescription. Even during the cut I was still making some progress up until a couple of weeks ago and had hit a new PR of a 205 squat for 4x5, but now I can't hit those dizzy heights and Ive been struggling to squat 198 for 3x3, even light days have been a real struggle.

On Sunday I struggled through the Medium day on squats- the last set of 5 @ -5% looked more like good mornings than squats. I was really puffing hard. Then on the bench where the previous week I had hit 165lbs for 4x2 and was looking forward to making that 4x3, but only managed 1x2 and 1x1 and at that point I was so pissed off and knackered that I called it a day. I usually do some hard prowler pushing for conditioning, but that wasn't happening.

Come training day today-squats at 198 4x5 felt good. Bench 154 4x5 felt good too. Finished with rows and added an extra set of reps. Didn't puff and felt pretty good after. The only thing that I can think of is that by cutting my session short on Sunday I had recovered better. I'm wondering if I should cut a day out, or make M day far fewer reps but keeping some intensity ?

The best stock program I've run and made progress during a cut was Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior. The volume cycling made it more than manageable and added to my totals as well. There are examples of volume/intensity cycling in Barbell Prescription if you prefer to design your own templates.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    The best stock program I've run and made progress during a cut was Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior. The volume cycling made it more than manageable and added to my totals as well. There are examples of volume/intensity cycling in Barbell Prescription if you prefer to design your own templates.
    Yes, I was looking at those in BBP yesterday and that seems to be the way to go.