starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm ups(Barbell Logic podcast)

Default Warm ups(Barbell Logic podcast)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After listening to this podcast. It has me questioning my warm ups. I use the SS app.. for my warm ups. They say don’t rely on a calculator or the SS app.

So what do you guys do for warm ups? Any percentages?
    After squats do you do as many warm ups for
    The press and deadlift, or do you do only a couple of warm up sets.

Thanks,

I'm in your shoes. I use warmupreps.com for mine. I write them all down on an index card to take to the gym as my work for the day. I know I'm a bit anal so I'm also curious to see what others do.

I listened to it too. Did it not answer those questions?

I believe they did. I’m going to listen to it again. I think I missed some key points to it.
    I believe I’m over thinking it and making it harder than what it should be. I asked this in the coaches program section too, and Wolf answered it for me.

Arkansan, you'll see that same advice all over the place, including the Starting Strength book, other articles and videos, and plenty of discussion in the forums here on Starting Strength. The reason it comes up over and over is that so many new people have trouble with it. That is where a "strict" approach comes in handy for the new guy: stops a bunch of worry and wasted time over it at a point where they don't have experience to judge or much weight on the bar anyway. This is why you see a standard advised -- it's a starting point (although it may continue to work just fine for many people).

Today's video from Grant Broggi revisits this subject: How to Warmup for Barbell Training, but see also:

Warmup from Rip

Our warm-up...is a warmup from Niki Sims

and just tons of coverage on the forums (a couple of examples, but if you search you'll pull up pages of threads):

Warm Up Sets/Reps

Thoughts on warmup sets

So, nothing new under the sun, but instead something that comes up regularly...like the sun.

Thanks,
    Just saw that video earlier today. Was Very helpful.

I'm at the point where just warming up with the bar for the lifts is not sufficient. My shoulders are tight, my posterior chain gets sticky, and I just perform better with a good sweat. Sometimes I do more, sometimes less, but usually at least what follows

"Full Warmup"
    5 rounds with minimal rest but not a damn crossfit WOD

Squat: 2x10x45, 5x135, 5x225, 5x315
    Leg Stretch: 2 sets leg swings, 3 sets of holding a squat position, unloaded, focusing on spreading adductors and stretching the calves
    Press: 2 sets of press with bar, 3 sets of 15 pushups
    Arm stretch: 2 sets of external rotator work, 3 sets of "Y-T-W-handcuff stretch"
    Face pulls: 5 sets of some blue band. alternate between low/med/high.
    Pullups: 5x6

On squat days I'm then ready to go, jumping in weight from there but on Deadlift days I start back at 135 for 2 sets of 5, then 225 for 2x5, then 315 for 5 and go on from there. I do my lower body lifts first so when I go on to press or bench I pretty mush do SS protocol using whatever plate combination is most convenient for the day.

I've been using this W/U protocol for the past 2 months and love it. Sometimes I even do it on conditioning days.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    "Full Warmup"
    5 rounds with minimal rest but not a damn crossfit WOD

Squat: 2x10x45, 5x135, 5x225, 5x315
    Leg Stretch: 2 sets leg swings, 3 sets of holding a squat position, unloaded, focusing on spreading adductors and stretching the calves
    Press: 2 sets of press with bar, 3 sets of 15 pushups
    Arm stretch: 2 sets of external rotator work, 3 sets of "Y-T-W-handcuff stretch"
    Face pulls: 5 sets of some blue band. alternate between low/med/high.
    Pullups: 5x6
    So you do 5x5 at 225# and 315# *BEFORE your regular squat workout? If I understood that correctly, that’s not a warmup before a workout but a workout before a workout! Haha.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Upchurch View Post
    So you do 5x5 at 225# and 315# *BEFORE your regular squat workout? If I understood that correctly, that’s not a warmup before a workout but a workout before a workout! Haha.
    No just one set of 5 at each weight. I need multiple sets to get loose but I don't need 10+!! haha. I was trying to be concise but I see how it is confusing

Squat: 10x45,
    Leg Stretch: set leg swings
    Press: 1 set of 10 press with bar
    Arm stretch: set of external rotator work
    Face pulls: 1 set of 10 with some blue band. alternate between low/med/high.
    Pullups: 6

Squat: 10x45,
    Leg Stretch: set leg swings
    Press: 1 set of 10 press with bar
    Arm stretch: set of external rotator work
    Face pulls: 1 set of 10 with some blue band. alternate between low/med/high.

Squat: 5x135,
    Leg Stretch:holding a squat position, unloaded, focusing on spreading adductors and stretching the calves
    Press: set of 15 pushups
    Arm stretch: set of "Y-T-W-handcuff stretch"
    Face pulls: set of some blue band. alternate between low/med/high.

Squat: 5x225,
    Leg Stretch: set of holding a squat position, unloaded, focusing on spreading adductors and stretching the calves

Squat: 5x315
    Leg Stretch: set of holding a squat position, unloaded, focusing on spreading adductors and stretching the calves

That's the warmup. didnt mean to be unclear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast