starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warm ups(Barbell Logic podcast)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Why do you need to be "loose" before you squat? Your squat warmup sets get the same thing accomplished while preserving your tightness in the bottom for the rebound.

It’s your training and you can do what you want, but just reading all that gave me a headache. Even if you’re determined to keep doing it, isn’t there anything you would consider cutting? It sounds like it would take forever to get through all of that. And I have to confess I don’t see the point of supersetting your squats with a variety of pressing movements and face pulls.

While I'm not very strong yet..but this is how my intensity work will go this week.

Warmups are just warmups. Do what feels natural. Don't stress. If you are feeling really "tight" then do an extra set with the bar. On my early morning workouts I do more volume with the light stuff and don't hit parallel till I get to 135 when squatting.

Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x3-5, 185x2, 225x1 then my work sets which are currently 270.

Bench
    45x5x2, 95x3-5, 125x1, then my work sets which are at 150.

Press
    45x5, 65x5, 85x3, then my work sets at 107.5

Deadlift
    135x5, 225x2-3 then my work set at 315.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you need to be "loose" before you squat? Your squat warmup sets get the same thing accomplished while preserving your tightness in the bottom for the rebound.
    When I walk in the gym I cannot get the bar in a low bar position. Doing some presses and facepulls etc "loosen" my shoulders to allow the bar to sit where it must. I just do a normal squat warmup with some movements to get my shoulders moving. Cold I can barely rest the back of my hands on my sacrum, nor would I have any hope of doing an overheard squat with just the bar. I know this is probably irrelevant to SS but just where my laboring ass is at.

Yesterday, 03:14 AM
    Erik Y
    • It’s your training and you can do what you want, but just reading all that gave me a headache. Even if you’re determined to keep doing it, isn’t there anything you would consider cutting? It sounds like it would take forever to get through all of that. And I have to confess I don’t see the point of supersetting your squats with a variety of pressing movements and face pulls.
    • Yeah it is a lot to type out but really doesn't take too long. I get a solid sweat on by the end and can forego pullups if I feel like shit since I got some in. My shoulder mobility has gone to shit the past 3 years so i dont see the time spent doing shoulder work as time wasted. I go from "exercise" to "exercise" with no rest so I feel like i'm not wasting a lot of time.
    • I could just do 6 sets of squats rapid-fire in 4 minutes and pretend that was enough to prepare me for the entire workout however that is not my reality. 23 year old me would be laughing at 33 year old me even if 33 yo me is stronger.
    • I don't think facepulls or chins would really interfere with workset squats but might prepeare me for the next pressing exercise but who am I? Just some dude responding to a "what is your warmup" thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12