starting strength gym

Thread: When you don't have mirco plates?

Default When you don't have mirco plates?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone. I just ordered some micro plates for my lifts. My question is I have been feeling the need for the micro plates so how would you go about if any for not having micro plates? For example Yesterday was my Press day. I went from 100lbs to 105lbs. I missed 2 out of 3 sets of the working load. Tomorrow is Bench day and the last bench day was a grind at 160lbs. Should I jump to the 165lbs or should I stay at 160lbs?

I will start by saying that the strongest my press ever got was when I was using 2.5lb jumps and pressing with priority over bench.

Next, I have no idea your training history or weight or an infinite number of other details that could make my post more specific but this is my general response to "stalling on 3x5 press".

I would do a small reset and switch to 5x5. Maybe drop to 85lb which should be doable, in fact I'd bet you could get 90 for 5x5 but it is good to start with a weight you can crush and get a running start to the progression. I just don't find 3x5 press to be enough stimulus to drive growth of the upperbody if that is all you are doing for the day. Press is also a skill so more reps at a challenging weight will help you in the long run. If you get your fractional plates before stalling on the 5x5, then I would start using 2.5lb jumps as soon as you miss a rep, maybe sooner if you have a grind, especially if you are running a SS template of pressing 3 times every 2 weeks.

When I started pressing more I found that sometimes my first 2 sets felt worse than the next 2, with the fifth just being hit or miss. Calling it at 3 robs you of the chance to hit your groove. Since the press is so technical I found I would occasionally miss a rep on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th set. Sometimes a couple sets. As long as I made 22/25 reps I would add the 2.5lb to the next workout. Sometimes being tired or stiff or just out of it can cause a missed rep.

Once I stalled on 5x5 again I reset once more and would alternate 5x5 with 8x3, microloading once things got sticky. This slowed progression but allowed me to keep working out without stalling which is the best kind of progression. I topped out with 8 sets of 3 with 194 and my 5x5 was around 187.5 for what it's worth. I'm trying to return to that former glory and alternate 5x5 with 8x3 for my volume presses.

Good luck! trust me, I don't think you're 5x5 weight will be that much different than your 3x5. But if you're doing SS and this is your first stall and you are eating adequately and training consistently, then follow the SS protocol of resetting and hitting it again with 5lb jumps until you hit your stall weight/get microplates, whichever occurs latter.

Extra set of dollars. I also strapped ankle. Weights around the bar when needed

Small reset. Use those micro plates you got and run out your LP.
    Also read this
    Minimum Effective Dose for Maximum Strength | Matt Reynolds
    And this
    Minimum Effective Dose for Maximum Strength, Part 2 | Matt Reynolds
    For what to do after.

While you're at it, if you don't have it, I recommend getting the Practical Programming book. Good resource for programming at any stage (novice/intermediate/advanced)

All that being said, you might not need micro plates yet. At those numbers numbers you probably need to eat and/or recover better.

Height?
    Weight?
    Gender?
    Nutrition?