starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie with Questions

Default Newbie with Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all. First time poster so I hope I知 doing this correctly.
    I知 a 35 yo male currently at 245 lbs with 30% BF and 47in waist.

Most Current Maxes all 3x5RM

Squat 230
    Press 110
    Bench 155
    Deadlift 270

Life and injury have kept my training inconsistent over the last year or so but I知 starting fresh today with a more consistent sessions in hopes to drive progress. The question I have is a programming one. With my current BF% and waist measurement would I be better suited to try an alternate program to get my BF and waist down to a healthier level before taking another shot at LP. I致e had success with the LP in the past but in order to progress weight I have to eat more and it is causing my waist to stay around 47%. If it helps at all macros are 3060 cal 306g carb, 268g protein, and 85g fat. I tend to be with 5g of these numbers 6 days a week with a little more flexibility on Sunday. I壇 like to stick with the lifts but need assistance on how to program them during what will be about a 500 cal deficit from my current macros. I searched the forums and haven稚 found an answer to my question. I may have overlooked something and if so I apologize in advance. Thanks for the knowledge I have gained this far and look forward to being an active part of the community in the future.

I'm unclear if the macros you listed are your current ones, from which you think you'd need to drop 500 cals, or what they will be AFTER you drop. But I think with a 47 inch waist and 30% bf, you would almost certainly lose fat and weight even on 3000cals. I also don't know why you need to do a 500 cal daily deficit. If you're in for the long haul, start smaller and see if you can train hard with a smaller deficit first.

Thanks for the reply. The macros I listed are my current macros. I値l stick with it for a bit and see if I get that slow and steady fat loss that I知 hoping for. Thanks again.

weightx10 equals calories needed to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesedips View Post
    weightx10 equals calories needed to lose weight.
    Not really. Too much variability out there in the real world for an approximation such as that very general guideline you give above. Many people drop weight at different multipliers. Note that this one doesn't account for body composition or activity.

Robert Santana is writing up a series that includes recommendations & strategies, but also the backstory about how some of these ideas have become common - GIGO in nutrition studies, glossing over the high differences between individuals and etc. He's posted links to the articles up on his sticky in the Nutrition forum for easy reference and they're set to go in the forum FAQ as well. Go to his author page for the series plus more.