starting strength gym

Thread: Different weight jumps on the press.

Default Different weight jumps on the press.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's time to microload, so i bought 2 chains that each weight about 1lb. So lets say, im doing 105 and i increase to 107 with chains. And the next workout, i will increase to 110 with plates, because, i don't have more chains. Will this be a problem in the lp? The difference between 2 and 3 pounds in each jump? Or maybe i'm overthinking it?

Just buy microplates; I received mine from Dan last week: 2018 microplates for sale, METRIC now available

I bought the microplates. Well worth it!!

I did it that way. It worked for me.

Won’t matter. Are you a smaller person? 105 is early to microload if you’re not.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim E View Post
    Won’t matter. Are you a smaller person? 105 is early to microload if you’re not.
    5ft 11' and 170-180 pounds. I don't consider myself as small, also, i'm quite young. It's just that 120 was absolutely heavy and i did not get a rep after a succesful workout with 115. Although, i have to declare that my form sucked a little because my elbows weren't at the right position, which is slightly in front of the bar. but in the next workout i am going to fix this. If you ask about the first three questions, i haven't made any of those mistakes.

And sorry, but i can't afford microplates. I could get chains that are slightly heavier to make them weight 1.25 pounds, but microplates are not an option.

And Rob, thanks, i'll give it a try.

Cheap alternative to micro plates. Stacks of flat 2" washers from Home Depot.

Doing it in this fashion will be better than trying to jump 5lbs each session.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Cheap alternative to micro plates. Stacks of flat 2" washers from Home Depot.
    I've used these for many years. The typically are slightly more than half a pound so if your really anal you can drill some out to get them dead on. Also, if your home depot doesn't carry any, look for an industrial fastener company in your area or check out McMaster Carr on line.

I'm used 1 7/8" and 2". The 1 7/8 fit better on the bar, but are slightly under half a pound, the 2" are a bit sloppy but are slightly heavier than half a pound. The good news is one of each makes a pretty accurate pound. I painted mine Iowa black and gold to easily keep track.

Sadly they are hanging idle on the weight rack because I got the microplates from the gentleman on the forum here. Wow are those things accurate. I took them to work to weigh on the calibrated scales. The are well with in the tolerance of calibrated completion plates.

So pick which ever one works best for you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkelheit View Post
    It's time to microload, so i bought 2 chains that each weight about 1lb. So lets say, im doing 105 and i increase to 107 with chains. And the next workout, i will increase to 110 with plates, because, i don't have more chains. Will this be a problem in the lp? The difference between 2 and 3 pounds in each jump? Or maybe i'm overthinking it?
    Do you lift at home, or in a commercial gym setting?