starting strength gym

Thread: SQ and DL intermediate programming with Bench and OHP NLP?

Default SQ and DL intermediate programming with Bench and OHP NLP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age = 22
    Restarted LP = Jan

I injured my right elbow when benching 10 days ago so I had to stop bench and OHP. I will return to pressing on Tuesday, provided my elbow stays pain free. I'll have to drop the weight so I can press while pain free then gradually ramp up the weight.

In 6 weeks or so, I'll be transitioning to a 4 Day TM for my squats and DLs. I've ran LP numerous times over the years but it got interrupted due to various bullshit. I'm sick of it tbh and, in 6 weeks, my SQ and DL will be mildly acceptable to transition to TM (145kg x 3 x 5 squats and 162.5kg x 1 x 5 DL). However, my bench and OHP will not be anywhere close to needing intermediate programming.

I was thinking of a set up like this:

Mon
    SQ x 1 x 5
    Bench/OHP x 3 x 5
    Volume deadlift

Wed
    Bench/OHP x 3 x 5
    Assistance (chins, rows etc)

Thur
    Deadlift x 1 x 5
    SQ x 5 x 5

Fri
    Bench/OHP x 3 x 5
    Assistance (chins, rows etc)

This does seem feasible?

What makes intermediate programming is how long it takes to recover to the training stress not the weight on the bar. The intermediate programs like TM have one day focused on Volune 4x5, 5x5, 6x4 (25 reps) and one day focused on Intensity (1-6 reps) so... if your SQ. and DL. need weekly progress I would simply progress them weekly. Transition with minimum changes. For example M:3x5 F:2x5 and a back off 1x5 then move your back offs to Monday next couple weeks then BAM your doing 5 sets Monday and one set Friday. Doesn’t really matter how you get there as long as you keep with the spirit of volume day and intensity day and switch gradually. If your presses don’t need that, then keep with LP. as far as the split, it’s just a way to organize your program. Same number of slots organized differently. I prefer the 4 day modeled after what Reynolds does. If you can, milk LP for all it’s worth tho. Listen to the barbell logic podcast on 4 day split