starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asking for help choosing a conditioning option.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If there are no power circuits to the motor, how does it get electricity to run? The electricity you produce will go through the same circuit, in reverse, eventually to a physical switch or outlet, hopefully grounded.
    Are you saying that if I unplug the treadmill and grab on to the end of the power cord while running it backwards that I will get shocked?

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Are you saying that if I unplug the treadmill and grab on to the end of the power cord while running it backwards that I will get shocked?
    Depending on how the tradmill is built (which, of course, I would have no clue), yes. If the circuit isn't broken or diverted somewhere in there. That would certainly happen if you hooked two wires directly to the motor.

A multimeter might be a smarter option if you want to try.

One-handed deadmills. Hmmm - sounds like CrossFit to me. Gotta be part of a WOD somewhere.

-->Adam

Does the treadmill star running as soon as it is plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Depending on how the tradmill is built (which, of course, I would have no clue), yes. If the circuit isn't broken or diverted somewhere in there. That would certainly happen if you hooked two wires directly to the motor.
    -->Adam
    Absolutely not! UL listing would never allow that to happen. I won't guarrantee that it won't damage the treadmill, but I will bet there is a diode bridge between the sensitive circuits an any of the AC current, so it's protected.

If it were mine, I would do it. It was the gym's, I would ask permission. If they say yes, then you have clearance.

Again, it depends on the treadmill's design. It could be perfectly OK, or it might blow out something like a speed controller (which would stop the motor from spinning with power). It sounds like you've been doing this awhile, so it's probably OK. I'm not up on UL rules - my knowledge comes from helping my son with his robot competitions (and he's better at the electronics than I am....), so UL isn't a factor.

There's also the extra wear and tear on the physical parts - when you do deadmills, you are usually slamming that belt WAY harder than when you are running (unless you are intentionally doing it slow and controlled, rather than sprints).

-->Adam

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    I like air bikes. The Rogue Echo Bike is probably the best for the dollar. Lower cost than the Assault or the Schwinn AirDyne and I like it better than both.
    Been eyeing the Echo for a couple years but it's so $$$. I have been doing Steady State for 30-60 mins after training most days while watching TV on a $50 POS Crosstrainer, is it worth it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12