starting strength gym

Thread: HLM with irregular workout schedule

Default HLM with irregular workout schedule

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Stats: 57, 5'10" 210 lbs

Following a HLM program based on one of the templates in BBRx, basically a three-week block of increasing weight and decreasing reps. Making good progress (mid-300's squat, low 400's deadlift). My problem is that I have not been able to get to the gym on a regular schedule. I've learned that I respond best by taking two days off between workouts but between work and family obligations, it seems that these days I am often taking 4-5 days, or even a week between workouts. If I was doing standard LP, I would either just repeat the last workout after a short break or a slight deload after a longer one. With HLM, it seems a bit less clear to me. Say I do my M day and then can't get to the H day for 5 days, what do I do? Do the H day as originally programmed? Do a lighter H day? Repeat M? If I miss a week, should I start the block over? Monday was supposed to be the third week heavy day, with three squat singles at 355 and a deadlift single at 415. I didn't get to the gym until today (Thursday) and didn't feel comfortable doing the heavier lifts so I did 325x5x3 (which felt a bit heavy) and 410x1 (which went well instead, Suggestions for my next workout and in general?

One factor interfering with my gym schedule is the often more than one hour commute from work. I just found out that my employer subsidizes membership at a gym 3 minutes from the office (Maximum Fitness in Scottsdale, AZ, for anyone familiar with the area) so I'm going to start using time I would have spent on the road in the gym instead, with the added bonus of the roads being clearer by the time I head home.

Thanks.

You should probably not do 3 week cycles if you miss so much training. Instead, try hitting one heavy top set followed by 4 back off sets on the heavy day for each lift (except the DL). Then you're getting intensity and volume in every workout. You should watch Andy's HLM videos on YouTube where he discuss this.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    You should probably not do 3 week cycles if you miss so much training. Instead, try hitting one heavy top set followed by 4 back off sets on the heavy day for each lift (except the DL). Then you're getting intensity and volume in every workout. You should watch Andy's HLM videos on YouTube where he discuss this.
    That certainly makes some sense. I think I keep starting the cycle with the idea that "This time I'll be consistent", but it's not been working out that way. I'll check out Andy's videos.
    Thanks.