starting strength gym

Thread: Question for Andy Regarding Training Twice a Week

Default Question for Andy Regarding Training Twice a Week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,
    If you are able to answer this it would be great, but I also understand you make money coaching others so if you can't help me out I get it.

After LP I switched to a 4 day TM training 3x a week, much like you and Rip line out in PPST, as well as the article on your website. I was consistently hitting PRs and enjoying myself for about 8 weeks. Unfortunately due to life circumstances I am having to switch to training twice a week through summer.
    I read your article regarding training on imperfect schedules and I wanted your input on what I have written.

Day 1
    Squat
    Overwarmup to PR single
    3x10@70 percent

Bench
    5x5@75-80 percent

Barbell Row
    3x8

Seated DB Press
    3x8-12

Day 2

Bench
    Set a PR Triple, Double, or Single

Squat
    3x5@85-90 percent or 3-5 Heavy Singles @95-97 percent

My Deadlift is currently on hold as I need to rework my start position. So currently I am doing RDLs 3x8 but when I start pulling again

Work up to Heavy Triple or Fahve
    2x8@70 percent

Assisted Pullups or Lat Pulldowns
    5 Sets to Failure

This I think is a combination of the strength and physique programs you laid out in a general fashion.

What I am unsure of is the following-is my squat intensity too high for the 3x5?

I am a 24 year old male, 6'4 weighing 225ish. Due to work and budget restrictions, recovery was an issue for me and I had to end LP early.

Thank you,
    Mike

Yeah, 3x5 at 85-90% is not feasible. 85-87% is about a ball busting 5RM for most so no way you can sustain 3x5 with that. Honestly, as of late I've had a lot of success having people just do Upper/Lower for their 2 day per week program rather than training full body 2 times per week. Either way can work, but you might try taking that 4-day Texas Method and putting it on a 2-day week and you might surprise yourself with what happens.

Week 1

Day 1: Bench Press Intensity
    Press Volume
    Chins / Dips / Bro work whatever

Day 2: Squat Intensity
    Deadlift Volume
    Rows
    Lower Assistance

Week 2

Day 1 Bench Volume
    Press Volume
    dips / chins / bro work

Day 2 Squat Volume
    Deadlift Variation
    lower assistance

You get the idea.

Andy,
    Thank you for your response. The 2 day TM intrigues me. I would assume the volume days may need pushed up from 5x5 to 7x5 or even 8x5 to get the desired accumulation of volume?

I’m more of a fan of accumulating that needed extra volume with supplemental and assistance exercises rather than just more and more sets of the main lift which necessitates a lowering of intensity as the set count increases. I’d rather see someone keep some baseline of volume on the Bench in the 70-85% range and then tack on stuff like Inclines, Weighted Dips, etc

Cool, good to know. Thanks so much for responding.