starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie here.....

Default Newbie here.....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all

This is my first post on the forum so please go easy....! I am a 32yo, British, male, 185cm, 75kg. Been “exercising” for about 10 months after getting sick of being skinny fat, cut from 82kg with 17PBF down to current 75kg and about 12PBF. About a month ago I decided it was time to “bulk” and I discovered Rip’s work, bought the book and here I am...! I have also been listening to the Barbell Logic podcasts, doing lots of research on the SS website etc....

So I am currently on LP and enjoying it, much harder than my old 5 day split!! The old split included the squat, press, bench press, deadlift, chins, and lots of accessory work. I was working with Mike Matthews Bigger Leaner Stronger program.

So a month in and I am doing fine with the squat, press and bench. However I am struggling doing the deadlift three times a week and would like to propose the following:

Mon: squat, press, deadlift
    Wed: squat, bench, barbell row
    Fri: squat, press, chin

Mon: squat, bench, deadlift
    Wed: squat, press, row
    Fri: squat, bench, chin

And so on....

What is everyone’s thoughts/advice? Yes I know I am underweight and I am trying to bulk!

On a different note and just to finish off...... I recently heard a old podcast where Rip spoke about his legacy and he discussed how he would like to see the military adopt a more strength based training program during basic training and the work this could achieve. I served in the British Army infantry for 10 years and did multiple operational tours, I could run and do push ups, chin ups, sit ups etc all day..... but I couldn’t (and still can’t!) lift for sh1t. I was a excellent solider despite that. However, Rip, I totally agree with you (up to a point). The things the army could achieve when they have such control over everything that recruit does would be outstanding.

Anyway, thank you for all for taking the time.

Cheers

Go back to the programming chapter of the book. It talks about the deadlift situation. There is a point in which you should no longer be doing it 3 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Focussed View Post
    Hi all

This is my first post on the forum so please go easy....! I am a 32yo, British, male, 185cm, 75kg. Been “exercising” for about 10 months after getting sick of being skinny fat, cut from 82kg with 17PBF down to current 75kg and about 12PBF. About a month ago I decided it was time to “bulk” and I discovered Rip’s work, bought the book and here I am...! I have also been listening to the Barbell Logic podcasts, doing lots of research on the SS website etc....

So I am currently on LP and enjoying it, much harder than my old 5 day split!! The old split included the squat, press, bench press, deadlift, chins, and lots of accessory work. I was working with Mike Matthews Bigger Leaner Stronger program.

So a month in and I am doing fine with the squat, press and bench. However I am struggling doing the deadlift three times a week and would like to propose the following:

Mon: squat, press, deadlift
    Wed: squat, bench, barbell row
    Fri: squat, press, chin

Mon: squat, bench, deadlift
    Wed: squat, press, row
    Fri: squat, bench, chin

And so on....

What is everyone’s thoughts/advice? Yes I know I am underweight and I am trying to bulk!

On a different note and just to finish off...... I recently heard a old podcast where Rip spoke about his legacy and he discussed how he would like to see the military adopt a more strength based training program during basic training and the work this could achieve. I served in the British Army infantry for 10 years and did multiple operational tours, I could run and do push ups, chin ups, sit ups etc all day..... but I couldn’t (and still can’t!) lift for sh1t. I was a excellent solider despite that. However, Rip, I totally agree with you (up to a point). The things the army could achieve when they have such control over everything that recruit does would be outstanding.

Anyway, thank you for all for taking the time.

Cheers
    After deadlift gets too taxing to do every time, you are supposed to put in another pull exercise and alternate between the two. Per the book, that pull is the power Clean. However, without coaching you may decide you don't have the technical proficiency to do the power clean; many people in that scenario add chins. Or yes, barbell rows. Just alternate, deadlift, Chin, Deadlift, Chin, Deadlift, Chin.. that's what the program calls for. So A week you would deadlift monday and friday, and B week you would deadlift wednesday.

Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate the time you all took.

Following Mark’s advice I bought PPST and have read it and adjusted my program accordingly.

Thanks again.