starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pain across bottom of rib cage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On topic: I've posted in this thread before about the rib pain I had. Haven't had a reoccurrence but it was probably 4 weeks to fully resolve itself and I put it down to strained intercostal muscle due to mild trauma from a belt worn too high and tight.

Little off-topic, you mention pain under your shoulder blade - I've been training through similar pain for what feels like (probably has been) months. Did you get it sorted and how / how long did it take?

Mine is kinda under my shoulder blade on one side, don't remember when it started. Seems to be exacerbated by pulls from the floor. Picking up a heavy shopping bag if I don't brace properly etc. Rows don't bother it much but I have been doing normal BORs not Barbell rows. Deadlifts aggravate it but only because of the jarring when the bar hits the floor, the pulling itself doesn't hurt. May be a strained lat or something?

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    On topic: I've posted in this thread before about the rib pain I had. Haven't had a reoccurrence but it was probably 4 weeks to fully resolve itself and I put it down to strained intercostal muscle due to mild trauma from a belt worn too high and tight.

Little off-topic, you mention pain under your shoulder blade - I've been training through similar pain for what feels like (probably has been) months. Did you get it sorted and how / how long did it take?

Mine is kinda under my shoulder blade on one side, don't remember when it started. Seems to be exacerbated by pulls from the floor. Picking up a heavy shopping bag if I don't brace properly etc. Rows don't bother it much but I have been doing normal BORs not Barbell rows. Deadlifts aggravate it but only because of the jarring when the bar hits the floor, the pulling itself doesn't hurt. May be a strained lat or something?
    BenM, during your four recovery, did you train at all? Or did you just restart LP at that point??

Regarding pain under the shoulder blade, it felt like a knot on my lower traps. I worked a lacrosse ball down my traps parallel with my spine until I found the offending spot. I then continued to work my arm overhead for a few minutes. I simulataneously did a Staff Rehap Protocol. I know that sounds like a MobilityWOD solution, and that such a correlation doesn't indicate the real solution to the problem. THe pain, however, has never occurred.

Thanks Jack.

Doesn't sound like your shoulder issue is the same as mine.

With the rib pain, I trained through it. I went a bit lighter on squats for a week or so, as that was the main movement that bothered it, and I wasn't using a belt for anything else at the time.

No recurrence, touch wood.

For those who have been following this thread, I am finally back to my DL PRs following this injury. That's several months of recovery. I have greatly improved my squats, however. I credit this to SSOC. I think SSOC and the fact that I have someone watching all and every lift, is shortcircuiting any form breakdowns.

Figured I would jump in seeing as I had a similar issue occur about three weeks back. I was on the last rep of my DL(don't remember the weight), pulled it but something must have been wacked with my form because part way up I felt a shift definitely not a pop, but something moved on my left side just under the rip cage. It was a little sore immediately after and the next morning it was a little more sore and seemed to have spread down just an inch or two down my side. I pretty much just ignored it and continued the program as planned and the next session it was twice as sore bordering on painful but improved the next morning. I continued for a few weeks with the program and the tenderness would come and go after a workout but it always improved until I woke up and realized I hadn't felt it in a few days.

I don't know if its the same problem but it seems similar. I definitely benefited from being young, dumb and 23 so I could continue to train and recover from whatever I did to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CarteringKat View Post
    Figured I would jump in seeing as I had a similar issue occur about three weeks back. I was on the last rep of my DL(don't remember the weight), pulled it but something must have been wacked with my form because part way up I felt a shift definitely not a pop, but something moved on my left side just under the rip cage. It was a little sore immediately after and the next morning it was a little more sore and seemed to have spread down just an inch or two down my side. I pretty much just ignored it and continued the program as planned and the next session it was twice as sore bordering on painful but improved the next morning. I continued for a few weeks with the program and the tenderness would come and go after a workout but it always improved until I woke up and realized I hadn't felt it in a few days.

I don't know if its the same problem but it seems similar. I definitely benefited from being young, dumb and 23 so I could continue to train and recover from whatever I did to myself.
    Youth certainly has its advantages. My SSOC coach didn't detect any flaw in my form. These things just happen, I suppose...esp when you're approaching 50. And all these months later, I am still recovering and trying to regain my former DL PRs.

starting strength coach development program
    Bringing up an old topic.

I got this exact same pain recently after NLP squat work sets. Last rib, lower left side. Senior lifter (67 yrs). I'm finishing 3rd month of NLP.

Is an over-tightened belt the likely cause? I use a 3" belt.

Thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234