starting strength gym

Thread: Foam rolling lower back + upper back?

Default Foam rolling lower back + upper back?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I constantly want to 'crack' my lower back (near SI-joint) and the upper back (where the shoulder blades meet). I learned a few exercise to release the lower back from my PT. But now I'd also like to release my upper back. Any exercise suggestions?

Also I made my own foam roller by basically wrapping a yoga mat around a PVC pipe which I use for my IT band, hamstrings and glutes. Can I use it on my back? If so, how? I'm reading mixed things about this on the internet. Some say it can be dangerous.

I roll my back a lot, whenever a couple of old injuries start making themselves known. I just lie down with the roller crosswise under my spine, and roll the part that hurts for a couple of minutes. I'll turn a bit to right or left to hit the sore spots, and give them each special attention. I keep my muscles pretty tight. I don't know of any potential dangers, but I've been doing it off and on for a long time with no ill effects.

You might want to get a real roller. Your rig sounds like it might be a little soft.

BTW - I know a lot of stretches and other manipulations, but the roller is quick and effective.

I roll the upper back back for the thoracic erectors....so I use a narrow roller that won't get supported by the sides of your upper back/shoulders....and a hard plastic one with little spikey things

I foam roll (hug yourself while rolling) and also use a peanut (two lacrosse or tennis balls taped together). Take the peanut, lie down (knees bent, feet flat), place it so it straddles your spine, and lift your shoulders off the ground 1-2" and then back to the floor. Do a few reps, move the peanut up the spine, and repeat. Start at the base of the ribcage and work up to right where the bar would be on the LB squat.

You can roll your upper back, but do not go much lower than your ribs as you want to stop before you reach your lower back. The muscles in your back and down to the lower rib area help protect the spin so rolling is OK, but if you go lower and actually roll your lower back, the muscle will be thrown into a fit as they try protect your spine. I found this out the hard way myself recently so the past 2 days switched to the sit-roll for my glutes specifically and not only did the initial lower back pain/tightness go away, but the pain from rolling my lower back is going away now too.

As for rolling, I also like to twist slightly to get more one side then the other while bracing my abs/hugging so as to keep the spine rigid and really get at the muscles back there. I also do a lot of the typical yoga back poses that are basically the same thing they tell you in PT so I'd keep those up as well.

Also, as suggested already you really should invest in a legit roller. The hard foam ones alone are cheap and they will probably be a lot easier and faster to use then what you have now.
    Last edited by madcat; 04-09-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Cracking and popping of bones are used for relaxing. I know back popping is difficult. Using some tips, you can easily crack your back with the use of some proper methods like Fall back down, Use a short back chair, Use a wall corner, etc. For more details click here.

If I may suggest an experiment for you...don't crack your back for 2 weeks. Use your excellent self control. See if you notice any changes.

starting strength coach development program
    If you want to solve a problem of the upper back, then you can do some things like using a short back chair, Crack your back with the help of medicine ball, and carpet exercise.