starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I Take Anything or Do Anything?

Default Do I Take Anything or Do Anything?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last night, as a masters novice in my early 50.'s and in my 3rd month of the SS Novice program, achieved my best lifts in the squat, bench and power clean.

Today my upper body and arms are very sore.

Do I just rest and play with the kids, take some anti- inflammatory pills or get my wife to break out the Deep Heat and rub me down?

My next workout is in 2 days and the weight go's up for my squat, press and dead lift and I want to progress again on this remarkable program.

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Russbowen View Post
    Last night, as a masters novice in my early 50.'s and in my 3rd month of the SS Novice program, achieved my best lifts in the squat, bench and power clean.

Do I just rest and play with the kids, take some anti- inflammatory pills or get my wife to break out the Deep Heat and rub me down?

My next workout is in 2 days and the weight go's up for my squat, press and dead lift and I want to progress again on this remarkable program.

Russell
    Sore as in DOMS, or sore as in hurt?

Rest, eat, active recovery (light activity), and anything to justify a rub down from the wife is a good thing. Then train as normal 2 days from now...

Not hurt. Active rest tomorrow sounds like a good plan + rub.

I agree with crookedfinger. Are you eating and sleeping enough?

You may want to eat more than usual, too. I've found that can help with the soreness, too.

Eating more is a dilemma due to 28% body fat. Probably at or around 3000 calories per day. Sleeping plenty.

The active rest did some wonders last night with bar only squats, 30kg dead lifts and lying down triceps extensions with the EZ Curl bar.

Russell
    3 months is about the maximum recommended time I've ever seen a SS coach say someone can do SSLP as a novice. If you have increased DOMs and cannot recover in time it is time to move on to the advanced stage so you have a light day mid week with squats and a pull up/hyperextension day so not pulling DL each workout.

Russell
    3 months is about the maximum recommended time I've ever seen a SS coach say someone can do SSLP as a novice. If you have increased DOMs and cannot recover in time it is time to move on to the advanced stage so you have a light day mid week with squats and a pull up/hyperextension day so not pulling DL each workout.

Russell
    Numbers? Your height/weight and your 5RMs after following the program for 3 months.
    Last edited by crc; 03-15-2017 at 10:02 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by reediculous1534 View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast