starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constantly stiff on SS

Default Constantly stiff on SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My groin, lateral part of calves, and back are constantly stiff when doing SS. I currently stretch and foam roll apx 1-2 hrs per day. That is getting old and tough to maintain but if I don't do that my squat goes to shit and I can only do about a 1/2 squat. My adductors will literally not let me get past 1/2 squat unless I aggressively stretch them out the day before and the day of squatting.

Any tips, advice, comments?

I like the the strength gains and body composition change from SS but I feel very unathletic at the moment and stretching as much as I do is not sustainable over the long run.

Age? Height/Weight? How long have you been lifting/what's your programming? What are your work sets? Have you had your technique checked?

35yo 5'9" 193lbs

I've been lifting and exercising for most of my life. I have been trying to do SS for about a year and a half with mobility issues most of the way. Been spending a lot of time troubleshooting mobility.

I had my squat technique video taken for my own critique but have not submitted anything for anyone else to check. The video helped me identify mobility issues in my squat. I have had some success in correcting these through stretching but like I mentioned in the OP it takes a lot of stretching and after a lifting day I'm basically back to square one.

Current work sets:
    Squat 3x5 @195
    Bench 3x5 @190
    Dead 3x5 @315
    Last edited by Huskalator; 08-01-2017 at 09:09 AM.

You stretch before you train? That's counterproductive, according to most reports. Proper warmup should be all the stretching you need; certainly is for me, and I'm twice your age. I used to stretch after working out, but gave that up as a waste of time as well.

I'd seriously have someone qualified take a close look at your technique. It's pretty rare that actual ROM issues prevent one from doing the lifts properly. BTW: Why, after a year and a half, are you still doing 3 sets of deadlifts? Somethiing tells me you're NDTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    You stretch before you train? That's counterproductive, according to most reports. Proper warmup should be all the stretching you need; certainly is for me, and I'm twice your age. I used to stretch after working out, but gave that up as a waste of time as well.

I'd seriously have someone qualified take a close look at your technique. It's pretty rare that actual ROM issues prevent one from doing the lifts properly. BTW: Why, after a year and a half, are you still doing 3 sets of deadlifts? Somethiing tells me you're NDTP.
    Yes I stretch before I train. I'm aware of the research. I stretch because I have to or I cannot complete a full squat. I stretch at home until I can do a full ROM squat with a broom handle. Then I know I'm ready to go to the gym.

Oops, 3x315 is not accurate. More accurately I do 1x185 and 1x245, then 1x315. I have had lots of stops and starts with the program due to the mobility issues and attempts to fix them. I played soccer one day a week and blamed a lot of my issues on that however I have not played soccer in a couple months and still need to stretch just as much as ever. If I take a break from the program for three weeks or so I regain full mobility.

I would strongly recommend posting up your videos and getting critique; what you consider good form may not be to more trained eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    I would strongly recommend posting up your videos and getting critique; what you consider good form may not be to more trained eyes.
    I plan to tomorrow when I squat to cover my bases but I have doubts that my form is so bad it is causing major ROM issues.
    Last edited by Huskalator; 08-01-2017 at 12:55 PM.

As an experiment, try upping your calorie & protein intake by 50% for a week and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskalator View Post
    Yes I stretch before I train. I'm aware of the research. I stretch because I have to or I cannot complete a full squat. I stretch at home until I can do a full ROM squat with a broom handle. Then I know I'm ready to go to the gym.
    Have you tried just warming up with an empty bar or even a little more weight, (instead of a broomstick) until you can complete a full squat? That way you'll still be loose up when you start your actual warmup sets, and you'll warm up a lot quicker. I had one guy, @55 year old musician with NO athletic experience and 3 ruptured discs who couldn't come close to a full squat, but in about 3 or 4 weeks, training twice a week and adding weight each time, we had him squatting to depth with good form and some appreciable weight on the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast