starting strength gym

Thread: Anyone have complications after an inguinal hernia repair?

Question Anyone have complications after an inguinal hernia repair?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had a triple hernia repair (2 inguinal, 1 umbilical) done in December of 2012 (weighed 180lb at the time, 35" waist). I've had no complications except that power cleans really made the surgery sites hurt, so I quit doing cleans since I was bad at them anyways.

I'm up to 210lb now (39.5" waist), and as of today have a lot of discomfort from an area about 1" from my left inguinal repair site (which according to my surgeon was a "surprisingly large hernia"). The discomfort started immediately after finishing volume OHP, which probably had a little more lean back than necessary. Haven't had any issues whatsoever after heavy squats or deadlifts.

Near the surgery site hurts if I apply pressure with my hand, and it feels weird when I sit down and sit up. My surgeon said my muscles would fail long before his surgery did, so I'm wondering, is it possible to create new hernias near the previous surgery sites?

Does anyone around here have experience with discomfort/pain from hernia repairs, or have experience putting on a lot of weight and pushing much heavier weights post-repair? I use a 4" belt for all working sets on all lifts, though I typically wear my belt a bit high (the bottom goes just above my belly button). If I wear my belt any lower my umbilical hernia site gets super sharp pain.

I've been reading a *lot* about the subject recently. I had a inguinal hernia repair on the right side 25 years ago (no mesh). Just recently, it has returned (have a Dr. appt Thursday but I have no doubt what he will say).

Two months after my repair I came down with pneumonia and coughed incessantly for weeks. The hernia site hurt like hell but it held. I will say that I had various pains for almost 10 years at the surgery site. Never knew for sure what would set them off. Weird thing is, I don't know exactly when my hernia returned (I think it may have been a while back but I was in denial). No sharp pain at the recurrence site, just a dull ache now and then like I had when I had it the first time. And, of course, the bulge that pops out and can be pushed back in.

It's my understanding that in the "old days" the type of repair I had fails about 20% of the time eventually. The recurrence rate nowadays is down to 1-2% so I doubt you have a recurrence. You probably just strained something.

Do you have a bulge where the pain is?
    Last edited by Culican; 08-05-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I've been reading a *lot* about the subject recently. I had a inguinal hernia repair on the right side 25 years ago (no mesh). Just recently, it has returned (have a Dr. appt Thursday but I have no doubt what he will say).

Two months after my repair I came down with pneumonia and coughed incessantly for weeks. The hernia site hurt like hell but it held. I will say that I had various pains for almost 10 years at the surgery site. Never knew for sure what would set them off. Weird thing is, I don't know exactly when my hernia returned (I think it may have been a while back but I was in denial). No sharp pain at the recurrence site, just a dull ache now and then like I had when I had it the first time. And, of course, the bulge that pops out and can be pushed back in.

It's my understanding that in the "old days" the type of repair I had fails about 20% of the time eventually. The recurrence rate nowadays is down to 1-2% so I doubt you have a recurrence. You probably just strained something.

Do you have a bulge where the pain is?
    I never had the experience of bulges that I could push back in, though the surgeon did mention that my hernias were very large. I just had a very bad burning sensation that I felt through the entire groin area. I stopped lifting for a couple months after my repair, mainly because of work, and when I started back up I do recall having odd pains and weird sensations for a couple weeks.

I doubt that I have a recurrence, but I am wondering if it's possible to create new hernias next to the hernia repair sites. I have also been experiencing abdominal soreness for the first time in years, after heavy squats (327.5x3), so my abs have been feeling sore. But the area around my inguinal hernia repairs don't feel like sore muscles. It's discomfort, occasional pain, and accompanied by a sensation that's similar to when you have a bit of gas in your system.

Ugh, maybe I should call my surgeon's office and see what he'd charge for a followup after 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    But the area around my inguinal hernia repairs don't feel like sore muscles. It's discomfort, occasional pain, and accompanied by a sensation that's similar to when you have a bit of gas in your system.
    I had a feeling like that about a year ago. Felt just like a gas pain and was at the site of my hernia repair. Area was hard to the touch too. (Interestingly, it was the night before I was to drive to Los Angeles for Rip's seminar.) Woke up the next morning and it was gone but now I have a recurrence.

It might be worth going to your surgeon just for piece of mind. I have a high deductible plan so I hesitate to go to the doctor's but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I doubt that I have a recurrence, but I am wondering if it's possible to create new hernias next to the hernia repair sites.
    I just remembered that one of the sites I read said that sometimes there are missed hernias during the original surgery.

(I found it)

4.3.3. Missed hernias

Failure to recognize or repair the original hernia, as in the case of a "missed," or overlooked sac, may be the cause of a "recurrent" hernia. Obney and Chan reviewed 1057 recurrent inguinal hernias and found that a total of 37% were indirect inguinal hernias; 8% were femoral hernias; and 10% had two or more hernias present. These hernias are referred to as "missed" or "retained" hernias.18
    Recurrence after groin hernia repair-revisited - ScienceDirect

Another interesting quote from the same article:

Early mobilization

Early mobilization and return to normal, unrestricted physical activities and hard work in the immediate postoperative period do not cause recurrences. On the contrary, persons with sedentary occupations suffer double the number of recurrences as those performing heavy manual labor
    This seems to go along with Rip's philosophy of doing as much as you can after any injury to "force" it to heal properly.
    Last edited by Culican; 08-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Interesting. I didn't lift for a few months after my repair because I was so busy with work, so not sure if that changes things or not.

Yeah I'd get a follow up with the surgeon and see what he thinks

This gives me food for thought as I am probably going to have a repair.

I know Rip is all for the mesh but it seems that whereas recurrence was a problem in the pre mesh era, chronic pain is a problem in the mesh era.

This is a recent article:

Chronic Pain Following Inguinal Hernioplasty

starting strength coach development program
    I posted this in my log but am also posting it here for any future searchers of hernia information.

Watching videos by surgeons for surgeons at professional conferences.

This guy seems like Rip. Says the more the patient does within reason within the first 48 hours, the less pain ultimately.

Said that the patients who "babied" themselves had worse recoveries.

Full presentation:

Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair - YouTube