starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I consume less process sugars?

Default Why should I consume less process sugars?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I saw a Conor McGregor video in which he remarked how much he abstains from processed sugar. The thought isn't new, but I'm open to different nutritional ideas if they can help in training, personal health, performance at work, etc.

So why should I care about consuming processed sugars like high fructose corn syrup? And, if you agree with eliminating them, where can I expect an increase in performance if I cut them out?

Or is this trend overrated?

There is a lot of crap associated with "processed sugar".
    So by avoiding processed sugar, you are LIKELY avoiding a lot of junk food.
    So by eliminating junk food . . .that would be a good thing I would think.

Although, you could still chug-a-lug a shit ton of honey everyday and it would be "natural" sugar I guess.
    (not "processed" . . . processed by the bees I guess).
    Eat 15 dry baked potatoes a day and still have a problem too.

. . .and you would/could still have a fucked up diet.

From my limited understanding, the body doesn't really care about what kind of carbs you injest since they are pretty much the same once they're digested. The potential advantages of avoiding processed sugars would be that you are more likely eating foods with fewer ingredients which makes tracking/managing macros easier and you are probably eating more fiber (which helps with feeling full).

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Eat 15 dry baked potatoes a day and still have a problem too.

. . .and you would/could still have a fucked up diet.
    Ha. I got take out from a new Thai place last night that just opened. I talked to the owner for a bit. She just can't keep up with the demand. I don't think she has much experience in running a restaurant. In any case, they were slow with my order, so she gave me a Thai iced tea. I normally don't drink shit like this, but she was so enthusiastic, I drank it to be polite. It was like crack. Strong black tea with sweetened condensed milk. . . . I was thinking about how fat I'd get if I switched from coffee to this kind of tea. . . .

At least one problem with sugar should be clear: It is much easier to consume than a dry baked potato. If the restaurant owner had brought me a dry baked potato, I don't think I would have eaten any of it. If she had given me a pixie stick, I probably would have snorted it, even though I don't like candy much. The tea was pretty much a liquid pixie stick with some more complexity.

I'm still thinking about trying to eat 15 dry potatoes. No salt. No butter. Just baked, right?

There's so much bad science in this area that I'm not confident of anything.

This pattern is known to be healthy for most people though:
    * eat 3-4 meals per day, each containing fat, carbs, protein, and fiber, and each containing brightly-colored vegetables
    * don't snack
    * mostly drink unsweetened beverages

This pattern is known to be unhealthy for most people:
    * seldom eat vegetables (other than potatoes and other "colorless veggies")
    * drink soda many times each day
    * eat junk-food snacks and dessert foods every day, between every meal, and at bedtime

Which parts are critically important, and which are just showing off how "healthy" you are, is unclear to me.

You know, we have a Nutrition forum, where a guy who actually reads all the studies and thinks about them answers questions like this...

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    I saw a Conor McGregor video in which he remarked how much he abstains from processed sugar. The thought isn't new, but I'm open to different nutritional ideas if they can help in training, personal health, performance at work, etc.

So why should I care about consuming processed sugars like high fructose corn syrup? And, if you agree with eliminating them, where can I expect an increase in performance if I cut them out?

Or is this trend overrated?
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jordan has mentioned that HFCS is in fact bad for you, and that it turns into visceral fat.

I would like to know if there's any significant difference in eating 100g of white processed sugar vs 100g of "natural" sugar from things like fruit, honey, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Ha. I got take out from a new Thai place last night that just opened. I talked to the owner for a bit. She just can't keep up with the demand. I don't think she has much experience in running a restaurant. In any case, they were slow with my order,
    THIS IS ALWAYS THE CASE WITH THESE DAMN PLACES.
    TAKES FOREVER TO ORDER.
    food sometime take a while to come out, its fine
    THEN TAKES FOREVER TO GET A CHECK AND PAY.
    place is packed and they have ONE waiter/waitress running around the whole joint.

so she gave me a Thai iced tea. I normally don't drink shit like this, but she was so enthusiastic, I drank it to be polite. It was like crack. Strong black tea with sweetened condensed milk. . . . I was thinking about how fat I'd get if I switched from coffee to this kind of tea. . . .
    Thai Iced Coffee is the same; sweetened condensed milk (or something) for cream.
    but the coffee portion is strong . . .much better IMO.
    Same, hardly ever really drink that anymore.

At least one problem with sugar should be clear: It is much easier to consume than a dry baked potato. If the restaurant owner had brought me a dry baked potato, I don't think I would have eaten any of it. If she had given me a pixie stick, I probably would have snorted it, even though I don't like candy much. The tea was pretty much a liquid pixie stick with some more complexity.
    agreed

I'm still thinking about trying to eat 15 dry potatoes. No salt. No butter. Just baked, right?
    Some say carbs are carbs. You get get too much carbs/calories so many different ways was my point.
    The "dry" was to eliminate the confounding fat (from butter) from the equation .

But as others said, processed sugar associated with junk foods normally.

From my readings, sugar and HFCS are "more or less" the same... You can argue fine points of their differences, but in the real world The similarities far outweigh.

The problem with HFCS is that it's a reliable indicator that the product is probably full of crap and not a terrible healthy option overall. A manufacturer who loads up their food with HFCS is likely trying to get you a sugar high as cheaply as possible.

I never understood the idea that carbs are carbs. My body feels very different with high-glycemic foods than slower acting carbs.

Default Why should I consume less process sugars?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    I never understood the idea that carbs are carbs. My body feels very different with high-glycemic foods than slower acting carbs.
    In what way, and specifically what types of carbs, and are they eaten alone or with other things?

As someone venturing into flexible dieting for the last little while I tend to go by carbs are carbs with the caveat: so long as you're getting enough fibre.

I don't mind eating processed foods and refined sugars, even right before bed (in fact I often do) but if I don't think I'm going to burn them immediately, I don't eat the biscuits and chocolate and sugar laden hot chocolate by themselves, I'll eat berries / oats / protein bars / other stuff with a decent bit of fibre at the same time. And I try to make sure I get 40-50g of fibre a day generally with plenty of veges and other good stuff.
    Last edited by BenM; 08-11-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast