starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift back injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There is a key difference in the rehab protocol for muscular vs spinal issues. In the case of a herniated disk, it is wise to wait until the disc has stabilized. This could be a month or it could be 3. For muscle injuries (which you would know if you tore something), wait for the initial bleeding and inflammation to stop (probably no more than a week but I'm not a doctor), then rehab as per Bill Starr protocol. Either way, a few weeks is insufficient for a spinal disk herniation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I don't think it is fair to say that all the advice you received said go back to the gym ASAP. No one recommends training with a bleeding injury or when disc material is still moving freely into the nerve. Also, RDLs with sets of 10 seem kind of dumb to me. Has to be one of the harder lifts to keep the lumbar set. If you want to start of cautious, rack pulls are a better alternative imo. It took me a lot longer than two weeks before I could start training. It was about 4 weeks before I could start benching, and 6 weeks before I could squat or DL.
    Point taken, I should have said most of the advice I received said to get back to training quickly. This included email and text conversations with three different SS coaches, including Will Morris, who was the one who suggested RDLs (using only that ROM where I could keep full lumber extension) and getting back to the gym 'quickly'. But as of right now, I don't have plans on returning to the gym any time soon.
    As always, I appreciate your input.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    There is a key difference in the rehab protocol for muscular vs spinal issues. In the case of a herniated disk, it is wise to wait until the disc has stabilized. This could be a month or it could be 3. For muscle injuries (which you would know if you tore something), wait for the initial bleeding and inflammation to stop (probably no more than a week but I'm not a doctor), then rehab as per Bill Starr protocol. Either way, a few weeks is insufficient for a spinal disk herniation.
    I used the Starr protocol with success when I tore an adductor last November. Hurt myself on a Monday, was back in the gym squatting light weights the following Saturday, purple thigh and all. As you and numerous others have said, the Starr protocol is not indicated for disc injury. I thought the disc had stabilized as I could walk and stand for extended periods without any pain and in fact didn't feel any discomfort during my workout. Since then, though, I haven't been able to walk or stand for more than a minute without a burning and tingling sensation in my leg. So, yeah, at least a few more weeks before I head back to the gym.
    Thanks for the input.

-RJP

starting strength coach development program
    I herniated c6-7 reaching back to turn on a light when I was a weak, 30 year old bum. It took months and months for it to heal. I had tingling in my little and ring fingers for a long time. I had no idea what was going on. I was referred to a chiro who didn't help at all. A neurologist sent me in for an MRI and located the problem. He put me on lots of Prednisone. I'm not sure if it helped, but it did make me act like some kind of speed freak jacked up on too much Adderall. Fun stuff. Good luck with recovery.

Does your insurance cover MRIs? They are miserable, but you can get a cd with the images. It's always nice to be able to see your insides.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123