starting strength gym

Thread: Pain/tightness from left side of mid back through left shoulder/arm

Default Pain/tightness from left side of mid back through left shoulder/arm

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Forgive me, I am not sure how to articulate exactly what the sensation is. What it feels like is an intense muscle knot in my left lat (mid back on the left side) that becomes sore under the stress of Bench, Press & Chins. It causes a pain to run from the spot in my back through my shoulder right down to my left wrist. It causes a weakness on my left side making that side droop during bench and slightly during Press. During wide grip chin ups I am weaker on the left side slightly and pull unevenly. I do feel mild discomfort through my left back/shoulder and into the arm during chins of all types though most strongly during wide grip. At rest if I focus on my back I can feel the tightness. I am assuming it is the same root problem causing this comfort through the movements I have listed. I have tried rolling it out with a foam roller and using a ball. That provides temporary relief, but doesn't appear to change the sensation during training.

On the 28th of August my bench failed completely due to this. It changed from an ache to pain and definite weakness.

Also, as an aside, I have experienced my upper body stalling on the LP while my squat and deadlift are doing well - documented here. I am guessing this could be related. Dunno.

Questions to make this vague complaint make more sense?
    Suggestions?

Backed my bench off from just above 200ish to 185 for four sets to try and concentrate on what is happening. During the press I feel the tightness in my back and my front felt feels uncomfortable. Tightness runs through the outside of my upper arm and down through the top of my forearm. I feel it a lot more as I lower the weight. The first lowering after pulling the weight off the rack always feels like I'm going to drop the weight. I feel it pressing up, but not as much. So.. yeah.

That should be front delt, not felt above. Thanks autocorrect/poor proofread.

Bueller?

Did some of the movements YouTube suggests for shoulder impingement and while I feel some tightness in the shoulder I do not feel anything intense, certainly not pain. Putting impingement down as a slight maybe...

That shit sounds nervy with the pain radiating and weakness. Not sure what to say, might want to run it up the ladder to the coaches upstairs?

Nerves eh? Interesting. I wake up frequently with pins/needles/numbness in my arms, but put that down to sleeping position. Maybe it's more. Thank you for the suggestion. I will try and parse this into something semi-intelligent to ask coach.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday was Press day and although while doing the motion it felt as I described above, mild tightness with no real pain, I attempted the impingement movements and that felt different. I would say a two on the pain scale. It did not feel right. Starting impingement research.