starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain in Hamstring, just above Knee

Default Pain in Hamstring, just above Knee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

My semimembranosus (behind the knee, just above it, lower part of my hamstring on my inner thigh) has been hurting for a while. I haven't had any injury, but there's a dull pain and so I haven't done deadlifts or squats in a long time. I thought it'd have recovered by now but no luck. What should I do? And should I just carry on with deadlifts and squats?

Thanks!

Carry on with squats and deadlifts. If the pain gets worse as the sets progress, you're making it worse. If the pain stays the same or gets better, you're probably fine.

Regardless of what happens, post to the technique forum.

Review the Bill Starr rehab protocol. In the vast majority of cases, taking time off of your lifting is the WORST thing you can do. Once the pain has dulled to a blurry ache, typically you can work it through a range of motion. Maybe not heavy but with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Review the Bill Starr rehab protocol. In the vast majority of cases, taking time off of your lifting is the WORST thing you can do. Once the pain has dulled to a blurry ache, typically you can work it through a range of motion. Maybe not heavy but with something.
    The Starr rehab protocol is only good for certain injuries most of which are severe. Minor injuries (especially with no assignable cause, like a slide tackle injury) usually are technique related or simply go away after a few weeks.

Juggy_D,

Can we get a timeline for this? How long has this pain persisted?

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies!

It's been happening almost half a year. It's flared up twice, and I've stopped squats and deadlifts twice because of it. The pain if often there when I walk. I feel it's not because of technique because my left leg doesn't have the problem. Last time I did these exercises after a break (taken also because of the same pain), it flared up. I'm fed up cos I don't know what to do. Or maybe it has something to do withy bone structure, leading to a skewed posture, which then affects my work out? No clue. But it's a dull pain, not a sharp one, and it's kind of always there.

Could the problem be in how I walk?

Quote Originally Posted by juggy_D View Post
    Could the problem be in how I walk?
    That is really unlikely. How do you walk?

Post a video of your squat.

Quote Originally Posted by juggy_D View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies!

It's been happening almost half a year. It's flared up twice, and I've stopped squats and deadlifts twice because of it. The pain if often there when I walk. I feel it's not because of technique because my left leg doesn't have the problem. Last time I did these exercises after a break (taken also because of the same pain), it flared up. I'm fed up cos I don't know what to do. Or maybe it has something to do withy bone structure, leading to a skewed posture, which then affects my work out? No clue. But it's a dull pain, not a sharp one, and it's kind of always there.
    You are telling us that you have had an ache associated with a tendon for 6 months and haven't had it looked at by a medical professional?

starting strength coach development program
    To clarify, are you feeling this near the attachment point/hamstring tendon, or in the belly of the muscle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast