starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain at the tailbone?

Default Pain at the tailbone?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes I probably will go to a doctor and yes they probably will refer me to a physical therapist who may or may not help me. But if anyone has any advice here it would be appreciated.

I hurt what I think is my tailbone (right at the bottom of my spine, above my butt). I have occasionally hurt this from fencing – usually after a competition or if I haven’t fenced in a while. I guess this is caused by repeatedly stretching this area lunging. It also really hurts when I squat.

Any way to stretch or strengthen this particularly area? I’m working on my squat form of course and lowered the weight to avoid the pain for now. But sadly some asshole crashed into me and now it hurts to sit/bend over and I’m in a constantly achey pain.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

This would not be your tailbone if it is above your butt. Look up some pictures of where the tailbone is to see if that is the location. Above your butt would, to me, mean your lumber/sacrum area. We can give more advice once we know where the pain is.

It's probably some s.i. joint stuff, the pain you are experiencing right now will eventually go away with time, like it probably always did when you hurt yourself before.

You can strengthen that area with squats and deadlifts, use a belt.
    Also you should not "stretch" your back

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    This would not be your tailbone if it is above your butt. Look up some pictures of where the tailbone is to see if that is the location. Above your butt would, to me, mean your lumber/sacrum area. We can give more advice once we know where the pain is.
    Sorry I think you're right there. I guess the pain is right at the bottom of the spine where it connects to whatever ass bones there are below.

This are is likely the sacro-iliac joint or a lumbar spine issue. Now, that being said, many people misinterpret lower back soreness as pain. Your next task is to figure out whether you have a spine issue (herniated disk) or a simple muscle ache. these things are addressed differently.

This are is likely the sacro-iliac joint or a lumbar spine issue. Now, that being said, many people misinterpret lower back soreness as pain. Your next task is to figure out whether you have a spine issue (herniated disk) or a simple muscle ache. these things are addressed differently.
    Thanks. I guess I should see a doctor as I don't expect anyone online to differentiate the two.

If it is after you haven't fenced in a while it sounds like simple muscle soreness. If it lasts continuously for more than 6 weeks, you should see a doctor.

If it is after you haven't fenced in a while it sounds like simple muscle soreness. If it lasts continuously for more than 6 weeks, you should see a doctor.

It’s hard for me to say. I get the pain occasionally after fencing (more likely the next day) which sounds and feels to me like muscle soreness. But when I squat, I get a lot of pain in this spot even without much weight on my back. I’m not sure if the squat is causing the pain or because I have the injury my squat aggravates it. Before this weekend it had hurt for a few weeks and was slowly getting better, but one knock has aggravated it to pain city.

Thanks. Will listen later to this.

starting strength coach development program
    Definite grounds for a form check based on what you've described. This crash/knock that occurred. Could you tell me more about that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast