starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LBBS hack for rotator cuff strain or a really stupid idea?

Default LBBS hack for rotator cuff strain or a really stupid idea?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    47 yo 200 lb male
    blown anterior cruciate ligaments in both knees (as in no ligament present) plus severe degradation of medial meniscus in left knee. complete rupture of AC joint in right shoulder ("piano key noticeable through shirt)

the most recent problem is a significant strain of left rotator cuff and I cant reach back far enough to get my hand on the bar. I did front squats for a couple of weeks after the injury then a week of high bar. the forward knee travel on both of those exercises is hard on the knees (see above)

I watched Mr Baker's video on strapped front squats (I assume he does those because his arms and shoulders are too huge to maintain a good rack position.

I put straps around the bar and can get it into LBBS position (just under spine of scapula) w/o pain and it seems solid. (see video)

Is this a valid, useful, safe modification until the shoulder mobility returns? (I can chin, press and bench press w/ minimal pain)

LBBS w/ straps 3rd set of 205

LBBS w/ straps - YouTube

I know I will get form check comments on this but I'm more concerned about whether I should even be doing it.
    My own observations are: Missed high all 5 reps, I slide my hips to the right and load the right leg during ascent, knees not shoved out enough

Man, where do you lift? That's a cool set up!

Anyway, yeah, doing lbbs with straps can work. I've seen videos of it being used with folks who don't have access to a safety squat bar. I've actually had one of my younger clients use it for awhile when his shoulder was acting up. The tough thing, which you've probably already caught onto, is that it takes a lot more work to stay tight and to hold the bar well since you can't really pin the thing as you would traditionally. I'd expect you'll have to drop the weight on the squat for awhile, but once you're able to hold the thing "correctly" again, you'll probably find squats easier in a way as you'll have learned even better how to tighten up, brace, and balance.

Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Man, where do you lift? That's a cool set up!

Anyway, yeah, doing lbbs with straps can work. I've seen videos of it being used with folks who don't have access to a safety squat bar. I've actually had one of my younger clients use it for awhile when his shoulder was acting up. The tough thing, which you've probably already caught onto, is that it takes a lot more work to stay tight and to hold the bar well since you can't really pin the thing as you would traditionally. I'd expect you'll have to drop the weight on the squat for awhile, but once you're able to hold the thing "correctly" again, you'll probably find squats easier in a way as you'll have learned even better how to tighten up, brace, and balance.

Impressive!
    Mr. Illingsworth,
    Thanks for quick reply.
    I feel like Im at least as tight through the romboids, delts and traps with the strap set-up as I was with hands on the bar. Maybe this is because I'm able to squeeze my elbows down closer and keep the humerus (is the plural humeri?) more in line with the torso.
    My squat is garbage and weak anyway, so that workset in video was only deloaded 30 lb from my pre-injury workset. I will keep working on bracing and balance.

As for the location, it is the weight "room" at the school where I teach. outdoors, next to the baseball diamond and tennis court, in Fresno, CA, where it was 105 on the day the video was shot. Just glad that my preferred rack is the one in the shade rather than 6 feet to left or right, both of which are in full sun. none of our students think it is "impressive" but the plates are still 45 lb indoors or out.

I did a bit of lbbs with straps recently. Like Jeff said, you learn to tighten up without the elbows up cue. This is good because elbows up is misused imho. Especially when people start using words like "crank".

I just had my shoulder repaired so I'm not worrying about how to squat ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I did a bit of lbbs with straps recently. Like Jeff said, you learn to tighten up without the elbows up cue. This is good because elbows up is misused imho. Especially when people start using words like "crank".

I just had my shoulder repaired so I'm not worrying about how to squat ATM.
    May I ask what injury/event precipitated the shoulder repair? repetitive use? one time event?

Prior to the rotator cuff issue Im having, I had been working on setting up/squeezing the upper back tight w/ elbows down because it relieved to tension pain of in the elbows, which seems (if the various threads here are an indication) a very common problem related to squat. Mr. Deaton and Mr. Reynolds mentioned it on the most recent "Barbell Logic" podcast.

I wonder if, in my attempt to deal with the elbow problem, I was over-tightening the shoulders and caused the rotator cuff strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fuller View Post
    Mr. Illingsworth,
    Thanks for quick reply.
    I feel like Im at least as tight through the romboids, delts and traps with the strap set-up as I was with hands on the bar. Maybe this is because I'm able to squeeze my elbows down closer and keep the humerus (is the plural humeri?) more in line with the torso.
    My squat is garbage and weak anyway, so that workset in video was only deloaded 30 lb from my pre-injury workset. I will keep working on bracing and balance.

As for the location, it is the weight "room" at the school where I teach. outdoors, next to the baseball diamond and tennis court, in Fresno, CA, where it was 105 on the day the video was shot. Just glad that my preferred rack is the one in the shade rather than 6 feet to left or right, both of which are in full sun. none of our students think it is "impressive" but the plates are still 45 lb indoors or out.
    How do you guys deal with rust? Or does it not affect the equipment much?

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    How do you guys deal with rust? Or does it not affect the equipment much?
    Here in California, it gets hot enough to just burn the rust off. At least that's how it's felt for much of this summer.

Does your gym not have a safety squat bar? I'd use that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Here in California, it gets hot enough to just burn the rust off. At least that's how it's felt for much of this summer.
    this. exactly.

the bars have to be store inside to keep them cool enough to touch. any metal surface becomes a frying pan.

except for a couple of weeks when humidity was high and it felt like we were in Alabama.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Does your gym not have a safety squat bar? I'd use that instead.
    Dont have one. 6 squat racks of various types, 2 bench press, 1 pull-down, 1 combination cable and stack station, 6 new echo bars, 5 old rusty bars, 2 aluminum training bars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast