starting strength gym

Thread: Blood vessels keep popin', sleepiness

Unhappy Blood vessels keep popin', sleepiness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I hope it's okay to describe two problems in one thread.

I've tried to search the forums for at least a little specific answer, but didn't manage to get one.

Capillaries in my face and neck area keep bursting for some reason. Now, based on my searches, I've concluded that this is probably avoidable if I work on my breathing. I've had problems with bracing previously, so I reckon the issue is not yet properly managed. So, my actual question is, is there something like a common mistake done while taking the valsalva breath that causes this? Can it be a form issue?
    It's not that I am experiencing pain or anything, but the bursts seem to be more severe recently and me being pale makes me look diseased the following day. Also, can some of those become permanent?

And my second question - I've noticed I've become a lot more sleepy during the day, usually during commuting and boring lessons at school, when I am idle. I am getting near the end of my LP so I get physically stressed a lot, but the problem pre-dates this. I eat in a steady surplus and get my sleep (8hrs/day). Could this be linked specifically to my age (just turned 18yrs old), or being heavier than I used to (gained 45 pounds during the course of the program)? I already do supplement vitamin D. Also, I am aware that I am not eating enough veggies, so could this be some micro-nutrient issue?

----
    In case they're needed, my 'stats'
    186cm/6'1
    90kg/200lb
    18 yo
    fives: S 315, B 205, P 137, DL 365

It varies from person to person, but I think an 18yo squatting 315 for fives on LP would need more than 8 hours of sleep.

An 18 year old dealing with typical teenage bullshit, hormones, mental nonsense, more silly teenage bullshit, plus being a (likely) advanced novice is a lot of stress and you could be under-recovered. You may need more sleep. I can't say about the capillaries on your face but if you are truly experiencing that, I would recommend contacting someone who is qualified to say what is going on with that. That would be someone with a medical background or enough exposure to trainees to diagnose that.

Re: blood vessels, you can hold your valsalva two ways: in your throat or in your mouth.

Holding your valsalva in your mouth pressurizes your sinuses too, which isn't necessary, and gives some people headaches.

So, try squatting with your mouth open. Maybe you'll get less broken capillaries in your face. Not sure, but it's worth a try.

For what its worth the capillaries are gonna break. The above tips might help a little but they're gonna break. Kinda comes with the territory. I will get them all over my face after heavy squats, occasionally I will blow them in my eye too... that's fun. Deadlifts I tend to get them more on my chest and shoulders...

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Re: blood vessels, you can hold your valsalva two ways: in your throat or in your mouth.

Holding your valsalva in your mouth pressurizes your sinuses too, which isn't necessary, and gives some people headaches.

So, try squatting with your mouth open. Maybe you'll get less broken capillaries in your face. Not sure, but it's worth a try.
    Thanks, this is the exact kind of info I was looking for. I've experienced headaches after some of my workouts, so this sounds to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    It varies from person to person, but I think an 18yo squatting 315 for fives on LP would need more than 8 hours of sleep.
    I would definitely like that, but it's hard for me to sneak in even eight hours. I'll try to though, as stupid as it sounds, I didn't think this could be the cause of my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    An 18 year old dealing with typical teenage bullshit, hormones, mental nonsense, more silly teenage bullshit, plus being a (likely) advanced novice is a lot of stress and you could be under-recovered. You may need more sleep. I can't say about the capillaries on your face but if you are truly experiencing that, I would recommend contacting someone who is qualified to say what is going on with that. That would be someone with a medical background or enough exposure to trainees to diagnose that.
    I definitely am in the advanced novice territory, currently undergoing my last deload before I move on to a different routine. As I said above, I'll try to get some more sleep. When you say 'hormones', I suppose that means something that's part of the teenage deal, not an endocrine problem that should be dealt with, right?

Anyway, thanks to you all for responses, I'll make some adjustments and report back if the thread doesn't die.

starting strength coach development program
    I am referring to hormonal teenage bullshit, yes.