starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experiencing odd arm aches after bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    I'm confused. I thought the bending the bar cue was for the descent, and "bent" by both hands coming down? As if trying to bend the bar across the chest. That allow for the elbow tuck. Have I been getting this wrong the whole time?
    Yes, this is what I mean. "Bending" it on the way down. Sorry- sort of an odd image to describe over text.

Update 11/1:

Happy to say the issue hasn't returned. More food for thought: I also somewhat recently went from 3x5 to 3x3 on the bench press, so perhaps the higher volume at the heavy weight was causing issues. As a matter of fact, since the last update, my thought is changing to 3x3 may have been the top solution. The last couple bench workouts I haven't paid as much attention to the cues mentioned in the last update, yet I haven't had any returning aching issues. Just a guess. Who knows for sure.

Instead of going to just 3x3's, you may want to consider 3x3 work sets, and 2x8 back off sets. This will keep the volume up, but back off the stress a little bit.

I should correct my statement above by saying "but back off the intensity a little bit" (not stress, since volume is its own stress as well).

Note: I'll be glad when an edit function becomes available...

starting strength coach development program
    Not a bad idea. I'm currently trying 5x3 to add volume instead of the 3x3. No issues so far. I might try going back to 3x5 and see if the issue returns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12