Thread: Shoulder Pain

Default Shoulder Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background:
    Beginning Weight: 217
    Current Weight: 233

Begining Weight/Current Weight (5x3 and 3x5 for PCs)
    Squat 140/300
    Deadlift 245/360
    Bench 170/235
    OHP 95/162.5
    PC: 90/185

Been on LP for about 4 months and I'm approaching the end of the novice phase. No real issues until last week when I noticed soreness in my right shoulder. I can't pinpoint what exercise caused it, but it felt better after the weekend. I initially though it might be a form issue on bench press, but I'm not so sure now. During my workout yesterday, I started with mild soreness in my shoulder. My squat was fine, and I was able to PR my bench at 240/5. Some soreness during bench, but not too bad. Then I started my first set of chins and the pain became much worse. I finished my workout and the pain got worse and it felt awful when I woke up this morning. Is there something unique about chins that could cause or exacerbate shoulder pain? Any thoughts and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you're flopping around a lot on your chins you can beat your shoulders up. Where in your shoulder?

I think my form on chins is fairly strict (i.e. no flopping around and certainly nothing approaching a kipping). It's hard to pinpoint exactly where the pain is coming from, but I guess it's more in the area of the front and top of the shoulder. I can feel it when I raise my right arm straight up into the air.

Does it hurt when you poke at it or only in certain positions?

It doesn't hurt when I poke at it, but it hurts in certain positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie95 View Post
    It doesn't hurt when I poke at it, but it hurts in certain positions.
    Does it hurt when you hold your arm out in front of you and your palm faces the ceiling?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    Does it hurt when you hold your arm out in front of you and your palm faces the ceiling?
    No. It doesn't hurt when I hold my arm out with my palm facing up. It does hurt when I rotate my shoulder like a freestyle stroke in swimming or throwing a ball.

Again, chin ups seem to make it hurt the most of all exercises. During my last workout, I switched to a more neutral grip and that seemed to help some. So far, it hasn't affected my bench or press.