starting strength gym

Thread: Tendon Infmimmation and Ibuprofin

Default Tendon Infmimmation and Ibuprofin

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I'm not a big pill popper at all. But last week after a few brutal bench/weighted dip sessions, my pec. tendon where it tie-in behind the upper bicep developed a soreness. I was hoping it would go away like normal DOMS. However, it was still there after a week, I could put my finger under my pec, inside the shoulder and feel the pain right behind the top of the bicep.

Last night, I took 2 ibuprofen and the pain was alleviated ~90% within an hour. When I woke up this morning, the pain was ~95% gone.

So here is my question: I know that ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, but why, after a week, would the relief last after 12 hours. It seems that 400 mg of the pain killer accomplished more in 4 hours than my body could in a week. I also take ginger, turmeric, fish oil and eat lots of EV olive, avocado oul and eat nuts, so it isn't like my diet is deficient in antioxidants.

Any thoughts as to why the ibuprofen seems so effective?

Maybe it was already getting better? Placebo? It helped you sleep better? You're very sensitive to ibuprofen?

I can feel pretty beat up and while it's not horrible, it can be enough to make my sleep lousy. A pair or two of advil can take off just enough of the edge that I sleep better and wake up feeling better. I strongly dislike getting older!

Coincidence and placebo. 400mg isn't even enough for a strong anti-inflammatory effect and is the absolute minimum does for there to be any of that effect period. For there to even be a strong anti-inflammatory effect, you actually have to take like 2000+ mg for a few days as it builds up in your system.

I've had headache's that went away seconds after popping Ibuprofen. Coincidence/Placebo is a huelluva drug!

I don't know if it is totally coincidence. If I tweek my shoulder or back sometimes I will take 325mg aspirin and 500mg acetaminophen together. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory with a similar mechanism of action to ibuprofen but acetaminophen is not anti-inflammatory. Yet, the pain will still be much less when I wake up ~8hr later and the relief usually lasts 2-4hr more after that.

Something is going on but I doubt it is a large amount of anti-inflammatory action.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I don't know if it is totally coincidence. If I tweek my shoulder or back sometimes I will take 325mg aspirin and 500mg acetaminophen together. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory with a similar mechanism of action to ibuprofen but acetaminophen is not anti-inflammatory. Yet, the pain will still be much less when I wake up ~8hr later and the relief usually lasts 2-4hr more after that.

Something is going on but I doubt it is a large amount of anti-inflammatory action.
    From my understanding of OP, I think he was claiming the pain started going away for good from taking the Ibuprofen and benefiting from its anti-inflammatory effect. If I misunderstood and he is just saying mild pain relief (it's analgesic effect) lasted longer than expected (12 hours or however long), then I wouldn't disagree that that is totally possible. Absorption and half-life is effected by a multitude of things.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    From my understanding of OP, I think he was claiming the pain started going away for good from taking the Ibuprofen and benefiting from its anti-inflammatory effect. If I misunderstood and he is just saying mild pain relief (it's analgesic effect) lasted longer than expected (12 hours or however long), then I wouldn't disagree that that is totally possible. Absorption and half-life is effected by a multitude of things.
    I only took ibuprofen once, 400 mg and when I woke up, the pain was ~90% gone. What surprised me was that the pain relief wasn't temporary. I assumed anti-inflammatory, but I'm no sure. What I suspect is that the inflammation was just strong enough that my body couldn't get a handle on the healing process and the 400 mg just took the edge off if the process. I take aspirin, ibuprofen and the like, perhaps twice a year so I don't have much tolerance to it. I may be inclined to take it more often now.