starting strength gym

Thread: LCL Knee tweak

Default LCL Knee tweak

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've never really had knee pain other than general soreness. Well this last workout I accidentally used 15lb plates instead of 10lb plates on a high bar squat during my LP (275 instead of 265lb). Instead of 5x I only did it 3x and failed. No big deal because I had safety bars. I think this is where I tweaked my knee though. I tried putting on the right weight that I should be able to do 5x and couldn't do more than 2x and on the 3rd failed once I hit that pain.

It's the next day now and I don't feel it at all during normal walking or activity (literally zero).However when I try to air squat, once I get to parallel it comes on fast and strong on the posterior lateral side of the knee (on the outside towards the rear). Knee anatomy images make it look like the LCL.

Next squat session is in 2 days. Should I be doing air squats till then to keep it moving, or should I try not to aggravate it. If it still hurts on squat day, should I still do my normal progression on squats, or do a lighter day?

Not sure if it changes anything but I did just read that it is unlikely to be an LCL injury from squats and can be mistaken for IT band. Not sure why considering the pain is solely in the knee area and not the entire outside of the leg, but thats what I read.

The more research I do on the issue the more positive I am becoming that it is an IT band issue. Shit. Makes even more sense when you combine that with the fact that both my hips have had minor pain that can be explained by IT band tightness as well.

I guess I need to find a PT/ Massage Therapist for a release.