starting strength gym

Thread: Foot pain?

Default Foot pain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm only 3 weeks into my novice LP. After each of my last 3 training sessions I've had this pain resonate from the center of my left foot. I was ready for it last night and I preempted any symptoms by taking aspirin last night, foot rolling on a rumble roller (aggressive foam roller), and ibuprofen this morning. Even so I still had some mild pain in my left foot last night and this morning. The session previous, the pain was horrible and seemed to last 48 hours.

I've had plantar faschitis in this foot before several years ago that resolved itself with time, shoe inserts and stretching. That felt very different, more in the heel, and more acute. What I'm feeling now is duller, more like a strong ache/pressure/swelling(?) and very much in the center of the foot. Not sure if the offending lift is the squat or the deadlift. I assume bench, and overhead press are irrelevant to this problem. Pain manifests within a couple of hours of finishing a training session.

If I go to a doc I'm afraid they'll tell me to stop training. I'm 41, 5'11" and weight 255. I've had T1 diabetes for >30 years.

If you can't figure it out, and do talk to your doctor about it, remember that she can't make you stop lifting.

Just smile and nod, and change the subject back to your foot -- that's the subject you are paying for her advice on.
    Same as if she were to give you advice on who to vote for in the upcoming election.
    It's not her area of special expertise.

What kind of shoes are you lifting in? How does the pain progress during you lifting sessions?

I agree with CWD about how to control the conversation with your doctor. She needs to help you get back to the activities you want to do (healthy activities I might add).

Since I just started I've been wearing stability running shoes. I've ordered and Do-Wins and Romaleos which will be delivered next week. I wear EEE in New Balance so I'm not sure if I can make them work. To be safe, I ordered multiple sizes of each.

I haven't scheduled a doc appointment yet. Was curious if this was something more common or if I was the special snowflake.

I got that once after deadlifting with my toes pointed straight ahead instead of angled out a bit. Could hardly walk when I first got out of bed the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I got that once after deadlifting with my toes pointed straight ahead instead of angled out a bit. Could hardly walk when I first got out of bed the next day.
    Still had a little bit of the symptoms after Sunday's session, but no way near as bad and I did not take any meds either. Either I'm seeing a foot doc tomorrow just to be safe.

An update!

I saw the doc on Tuesday; Doc's gut feeling was that I had suffered a bruise or perhaps stretched something mid foot due to wearing shoes with inadequate support rather than a fracture. However since I am T1 diabetic and with the concerns that come with that she ordered an MRI to rule out (as best possible) any obvious stress fractures. Had a follow-up appointment today, and the report came back clean. Also importantly, I've had two pain free training sessions since then.......all while wearing my new Nike Romaleos! Doc is convinced that I'm passed it, and all should be well from here on out. Thank goodness!

I've very happy to have found proper footwear. I was pessimistic about wearing weightlifting shoes I would since I have had trouble finding comfortable sneakers (I need extra wide) over the last 18-months. I ordered both Do-Wins and Romaleo 3s. To my surprise the narrower Romaleos offered a superior fit to the Do-Wins for me; the Do-Wins fit me poorly, being either too small or too loose & sloppy; I tried multiple sizes of both shoes.

I am doing all of my lifts in the Romaleos now and really enjoying the enhanced stability. Getting to parallel is easier on squats. Transferring power through my feet on dead lifts and overhead presses feels much more secure and predictable.

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear!