starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion about cortisone shot

Default Opinion about cortisone shot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey there.

I have been diagnosed with a (very) partial tear of the supraspinatus tendon.

The doc wants to give me a cortisone shot, which I refused but he insisted. I would be given the shot on Wednesday. Now what do you think? I understand Rip strongly speaks against even a single shot.

Should I keep saying no? Has anyone ever got a cortisone shot that proved useful and not damaging for the tendons?

Thanks guys.

How is a cortisone shot supposed to heal a tendon tear?

It is not to heal. Just for the inflammation (which is hypothetical since even the bursa is not inflammed at all).

And it is my point exactly. The pain is far from debilitating. I can press 60 kg for fives but benching over 90 kg and snatching with the empty bar are painful. So why do it if it is useless, or worse, harmful in the long term?

Cortisone deals with the symptons only. What good would it do you, on the long term?
    Not to mention all the drawbacks...

IANAD opinion: In the absence of life-altering inflammation and pain, I wouldn't take the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    IANAD opinion: In the absence of life-altering inflammation and pain, I wouldn't take the shot.
    Absolutely. I took one. Pain relief was marginal at best and the shot itself hurt like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Cortisone deals with the symptons only. What good would it do you, on the long term?
    Not to mention all the drawbacks...
    I guess it is a classic MD's move: treating the symptoms. The more so when the said doc is a radiologist and does not know anything about strength training.

I did tell him that I did not want the shot but he bullshited me about how "a lot of orthopedists directly inject in the tendon, thus tearing it with the needle, instead of in the joint, around the tendon". So he failed to tell me about the catabolic effect of cortisone; which I told him was my primary concern. I feel that he lied to me...

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Thanks for your opinion man!

Thanks to all of you BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
    Absolutely. I took one. Pain relief was marginal at best and the shot itself hurt like hell.
    Hey, thanks for sharing your experience David.

So, the whole story:

After the ultrasound that revealed what "looks like" a superficial tear, the radiologist scheduled an arthrogram (with a contrast material). He also wanted to give me a cortisone injection. I told him no, but he insisted so I told him that I will give him an answer on the day of the day of the exam.

He gave me a prescription but I told the pharmacist not to give me the cortisone.

D-day, I give the paper bag with the products to the lady at the front desk along with my "carte vitale" (social security card allowing healthcare professionals to get paid) and the prescription. Then, they stick the EMLA patch and tell me to wait 1 hour. So, I decide to take a walk instead of sittting on my ass.

When it is time, doc enters, just say "hello sir, we are going to start". Says nothing else. I could feel three injection...odd!
    Then, he says "it is done, sir. Please drive to the hospital for the arthrogram". Then, his assistant tells me "it went well, right? The Doctor injected the dye and the anti-inflammatory, so you should be good!".

WAIT, WHAT?!!!

That fucker told one of his assistant to go and buy the cortisone at the drugstore next door.

I got fucked...

Oh well...

starting strength coach development program
    And now I have fucking hiccups that won't go away...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast