starting strength gym

Thread: Dips or chins, what aggravates elbows more?

Default Dips or chins, what aggravates elbows more?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Finally seem to be getting over golfer' elbows (yes both arms) so I have been following a basic program, including light weight curls (even had to buy a curl bar!)

So wanting to re-introduce dips or chins. Thinking that both elbows now have had an injury which would most likely aggravate the elbows more?
    Either way, I was thinking of no added weight and going higher reps, and keeping a good eye on stricter form (especially if I went with chins).

Quote Originally Posted by toonttm View Post
    Finally seem to be getting over golfer' elbows (yes both arms) so I have been following a basic program, including light weight curls (even had to buy a curl bar!)

So wanting to re-introduce dips or chins. Thinking that both elbows now have had an injury which would most likely aggravate the elbows more?
    Either way, I was thinking of no added weight and going higher reps, and keeping a good eye on stricter form (especially if I went with chins).
    As someone who has had several bouts of epicondylitis (lateral and medial) over the years, my personal experience was that chins would aggravate the condition more when I was in its throes.
    Dips never really bothered my elbows but now my shoulder won't allow the proper range of motion due to previous rotator cuff issues.

Ironically, both movements, (weighted and unweighted), were probably my strongest over the years.

I don't think there is a way to know for sure. Several people on this forum report that chins aggravate them, while there are several who reported chins being the only thing that brought long-term relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I don't think there is a way to know for sure. Several people on this forum report that chins aggravate them, while there are several who reported chins being the only thing that brought long-term relief.
    I was doing 5 x 10 bodyweight chins with no issues for quite a long time. My cleans aren't great with the odd poor landing but likewise, no issue previously.
    So I think the weighted chins and probably a bit of swinging/poor form is the culprit.
    I'll go with the dips, then try BW chins and see how things pan out...

Being sloppy at the bottom (down too fast and loose) on weighted chins is bad for my shoulders. Going too deep on dips is also hard on my shoulders.

The only exercise that has hurt my elbows is low-bar squats. Pretty common do do those wrong in a way that hurts elbows, and I've found multiple ways to do this wrong.

[edit to add] Oh, and power cleans caught with low elbows. That hurts my elbows and wrists.

I would say that chins are more likely than dips to irritate elbows.

And I agree with cwd above: nothing f***s elbows more than catching a Power Clean the wrong way.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I would say that chins are more likely than dips to irritate elbows.

And I agree with cwd above: nothing f***s elbows more than catching a Power Clean the wrong way.

IPB
    Thinking of having a go at the power snatch, Rip's video looks like a good place to start.

starting strength coach development program
    Yea I'd say you're just going to have to give both a go because there's so many conflicting anecdotes. I can do weighted chins no problem but just setting up for a dip kills my elbows.

That said, I'd say that overall chins have a better risk:reward profile than dips. If you're wanting to do dips for extra pressing volume I'd do something else like incline BB press or some sort of DB press variation.