starting strength gym

Thread: Dad's foot pain

Default Dad's foot pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My Dad (63) presented with foot pain for a few weeks, went to a doctor, got an X ray, got told he had a calcification on his heel, was given 2 cortisone injections (3 weeks between each injection) and he has now has severe pain in his foot. It is constantly sore, is worse when walking etc.

He went to a physical therapist (despite me telling him not to - i know that some physical therapists are good, but most, especially the ones where I live, are incompetent).
    -He was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.
    -According to the PT, one of the tendons on the lateral aspect of his shin is out of place and inflammed, and he is getting cramping in his foot due to the tendons on the plantar aspect of his foot being tight.
    -The physio gave him a prescription of mashing his foot and ankle with a lacrosse ball, foam rolling his calf and doing body weight box squats. The technique that the PT signed off on was embarrassingly awful.
    -He has symptoms (obviously) haven't improved at all.

Does anyone know how to treat him?

Thanks

I've had plantar fasciitis in my right foot, now I have it in my left. I healed my right foot by rolling it over a ball, and standing on the edge of the stairs and lowering my self as far as possible to stretch the calf muscle. Takes a while but it eventually goes away. Get some good shoes too. Both of my issues started when I was wearing steeled toed work boots and doing a lot of walking.

I would post this either on Rip's forum or contact John Petrizzo, Will Morris, Austin Baraki, Jonathan Sullivan(people who might know) directly

In my case, I dealt with it by regular stretching of the foot, using fish oil capsules (anti-inflammatory), and using quality supportive insoles in my shoes (e.g. Superfeet). Recovery/healing was pretty slow and gradual.

I had plantar fasciitis 6 or 8 years ago. It hurt like heck in the morning after getting out of bed, and to a lesser degree the rest of the day. I've heard you can cure it with stretches of the Achilles and calf, or with heel raises and other exercises. Those didn't work for me. I ended up getting a plastic boot that immobilized the foot, which I wore to bed each night. Most of the pain subsided relatively quickly using the boot. After a few months, I tried not using the boot for several nights and the pain started coming back. So I resumed using the boot every night for about a year and a half just to be sure all the damage was healed. That cured the problem and it's never come back.