starting strength gym

Thread: Bicep tendonitis?

Default Bicep tendonitis?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm hoping for some light on an issue I have had for a few years on and off. I understand diagnosis through the internet is difficult but I am hoping some of my details may point to something or a direction to go.

History;
    age 39, 205lb. Strongman competitor before injury. Probably retired now

In 2014 I had surgery to fix a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus on my right shoulder. While in there he said I had fraying of the bicep tendons. Not terrible but he said that is usual for someone who lifts. He may have re-routed a tendon, but this could be the other shoulder, I don't recall.

I have not been back to heavy lifting because it was found during a discussion with the surgeon that my left shoulder had the same tear (after MRI), so it was fixed. I have had left shoulder issues for like 20 years, it was not terrible and I got used to it/ignored it. Unfortunately since it was tore so long ago he said the tissue was very very poor and the fix may not take, it didnt and I had 2 more surgeries. My last surgery was feb 2016, so far so good, but I am very cautions.

My issue is I get an annoying feeling in my right(1 surgery shoulder), I wouldn't say "pain" tho. It is roughly where the short head tendon would be(directly up from the crease of the armpit, about 2" up.

It is not "painful" but it makes me want to stop doing what I'm doing.

Part of my PT I still do (but havent for a week) is standing Y T I's with dumbbells. The goal is to work up to a set of 30 each (upon achieving 30 reps in a row weight could be added and the process restarts, started way back at 1lb). I am currently at 15lb, last workout before stopping was 18, 6,6 reps. Those seem to irritate it, not sure which, sometimes seems like I's sometimes Y's. PT suggested thumb up position, this worked okay with 10 and 12lb, but its back with the 15's. OH Press/ DL and pushups are fine (not allowed to bench).

Martial arts movements irritate it also, or maybe make it worse if its flared up. Sometimes using the mouse too. Rest sometimes makes it go away, but not always.

Does this sound like tendonitis?

Thank you for any advice what it could be or to try.

It seems to me that you've had some injuries and some surgeries and there's some stuff that's just not going to feel normal anymore no matter what. My suggestion is to ditch the PT(doesn't seem like its working?) and train, possibly minus bench. Can you squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    It seems to me that you've had some injuries and some surgeries and there's some stuff that's just not going to feel normal anymore no matter what. My suggestion is to ditch the PT(doesn't seem like its working?) and train, possibly minus bench. Can you squat?
    Hi Ryan,
    That's true, something I may just have to get used to.

No squatting with a bar yet, I currently use kettlebells. Surgeon strongly advised against barbell squat. He does a lot of surgeries on athletes so I assume he understands people who lift and isn't just saying it because "squats are bad". Lately I have been doing a couple of reps with an empty bar, trying to work the flexibility. It is better, months ago it hurt to try and hold the bar but 2 weeks ago I played around with an empty bar again and it felt fine, although my hands were out towards the collars and not where they should be.

Also I forgot to mention the 3rd surgery on my left was to also free a subscapular nerve that "died?". So that has been regrowing or activating, I think he said they heal at a 1mm per month, don't quote me and I think the nerve was something like 5.5cm?. I do not know if the combination of nerve issues and poor tissue from a long ago tear is the reason for its advice not to put the shoulder in the "squat" position.
    Thanks

It seems like your situation is improving although it sometimes might not feel like it. At least with regards to flexibility in the bar position with the Squat. Does your gym have a Safety Squat Bar? I'm assuming that position would be ok for you. That way you can start loading heavier than a KB will allow. You may even be able to high bar squat. I would keep testing the low bar position until it feels stable.

It seems like your situation is improving although it sometimes might not feel like it. At least with regards to flexibility in the bar position with the Squat. Does your gym have a Safety Squat Bar? I'm assuming that position would be ok for you. That way you can start loading heavier than a KB will allow. You may even be able to high bar squat. I would keep testing the low bar position until it feels stable.
    Thanks for the fast responses. I have a good garage gym at home where I train. I do have a SSB, this was my first counter to his response. He said that although the position would be easier, the weight will be pressing on the muscle/cuff and area of the healing nerve and said that wasn't a good.
    Thoughts?
    I'll try high bar and see how that feels vs trying to pry into a low bar. I'll keep working on/testing the low bar and see how it feels.

Its frustrating, my left has those issues(tissue/nerve) and right has a weird tendonitis or something. Age, ugh

How long did he say the nerve was supposed to take to heal? Its been almost 2yrs since the last surgery right? I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice but if it were me I'd be really trying to troubleshoot Squatting in one way or another. Let pain be your guide. If it makes it worse then you stop and keep trying to figure out other options.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStrangeway View Post
    Thanks for the fast responses. I have a good garage gym at home where I train. I do have a SSB, this was my first counter to his response. He said that although the position would be easier, the weight will be pressing on the muscle/cuff and area of the healing nerve and said that wasn't a good.
    Thoughts?
    I'll try high bar and see how that feels vs trying to pry into a low bar. I'll keep working on/testing the low bar and see how it feels.

Its frustrating, my left has those issues(tissue/nerve) and right has a weird tendonitis or something. Age, ugh
    I had a different issue with nerve injury. It is always super obvious to me when I am doing something that is irritating the nerve further. You may not feel it during the set, but you will feel it a few hours later. You will get stuff, lose range of motion, get numbness, or experience sharp pain. It will be way worse the next morning. As far as letting it heal, during the beginning it can be so bad that training isn't possible. However, IMO when you get past the initial trauma stage, the only thing that helps it heal better/faster is training. When I stop training for a week I will start getting symptoms again. I think the SSB squat was an excellent idea, I would try that.

How long did he say the nerve was supposed to take to heal? Its been almost 2yrs since the last surgery right? I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice but if it were me I'd be really trying to troubleshoot Squatting in one way or another. Let pain be your guide. If it makes it worse then you stop and keep trying to figure out other options.
    Yes about 2 years. The nerve is apparently 5.5cm and he said they heal at about 1mm a month so I guess 4.5 years. I tried from squats but had to stop because pain flared up. I'm going to try back squat again, as you say I have to troubleshoot with trial and error.

Speaking of nerves.
    I do suitcase carries, it was recommended for shoulder stability but since I'm an ex-strongman and miss the farmer's carry I still do them now. I build to 5 minutes before increasing weight. I got up to 60lb for 5 minutes, had some pain setbacks and reset to 40lb (did some DIY and pissed off the shoulder) and started again. Throughout progressing with this exercise, my hand/fingers starts to tingle after a couple of minutes. Sometimes I get further before it happens (3-4minutes). Sometimes I have to stop and shake loose. Is this nerve related? surgery related? blood related? It happens on both sides but I have had surgery on both.. it puzzles me, any ideas?
    The day before my 1st surgery in 2014 I did a last hurrah, tested my max farmers carry and got 700lb total for 80 feet at 195bw so grip has never been an issue, but is this something else? I haven't experienced it pre 2014 but also never carried for more than what a 100' run would be. I'm just surprised suitcase walk with such a light weight in comparison could create such an uncomfortable sensation.

Thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I had a different issue with nerve injury. It is always super obvious to me when I am doing something that is irritating the nerve further. You may not feel it during the set, but you will feel it a few hours later. You will get stuff, lose range of motion, get numbness, or experience sharp pain. It will be way worse the next morning. As far as letting it heal, during the beginning it can be so bad that training isn't possible. However, IMO when you get past the initial trauma stage, the only thing that helps it heal better/faster is training. When I stop training for a week I will start getting symptoms again. I think the SSB squat was an excellent idea, I would try that.
    Thanks for the reply Mugaaz. I agree, when I cant train it feels like crap.
    Its odd to me. Hard to describe sometimes. I've had rare occurrences where I'll get a cold sensation. Mostly I commonly feel a burning down one finger or mid forearm. The subscap used to get knotted a ton but touch wood it has been fine for a few months.