starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nagging outer hip pain prevents me from squatting

Default nagging outer hip pain prevents me from squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 24, 5'5 and about 160 pounds. I'll post a vid in the bottom.

Where is the pain exactly? In the outer/mid part of my left hip. Starts where the thigh and the hip connects. When it's really bad, it continues down through the thigh, all the way down to my left knee. That has only happened when I was stupid and added weight even though it was hurting. Not doing that again.

For how long has the pain been around? It got really bad about six months ago. At that point I went travelling and took two months off training. When I got back I started training again with light weights (started at 70 kg) and after two or three sessions, the pain came back.

What triggers it? As I said, it's only there when I'm squatting (with exceptions*). More specifically, it starts when I go into the hole, it peaks when I initiate the ascend and it's gone when I'm fully stretched out in the top position. When I am out of the gym, I can make the pain appear slightly by lifting my left knee as high as possible. *Once I was stupid and kept adding weight even though my hip was in pain. After a few sessions, it took about an hour for the pain to go away after squatting.

What have I done to try and fix it? I know about the connection between knee slide and hip pain. So I've worked hard on eliminating any knee slide lately - yet the pain is still there. I'm inclined to say that it's a bit weaker when I work on keeping my knees in place, but it's still there. I don't know if that's because it just takes time for the injury to heal? Either way, my knee slide was never that bad I'd say.

This is me squatting. This position hurt my hip even though I don't think there is a lot of knee slide. I've tried squatting with a TUBOW, but the hip pain is still there.

I would like to know: What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it? Should I just lay off squatting for a while? For how long? Should I take follow an Ibuprofen protocol in the mean time? (taking Ibuprofen before training takes the pain away, but I don't think it's a sustainable option). Can I work my legs while not squatting? Should I substitute the squat with DL?

Thanks

I should add that it's a pinching pain. And also that in the video, I'm lifting way below maximum effort - it's 70 kgs. And even that triggers the pain

Here's what I think. I think you are squatting with a too narrow of a stance, and/or not shoving the knees out enough. This is creating the pinching or impingement you are feeling in your left hip.
    Active Hip 2.0: The Directors' Cut

Widen your stance a little to see if that allows you to shove your knees out more, clearing the hip impingement. Also, you are relaxing into the hole, going too deep, which can exacerbate the impingement. The good news is, shoving the knees out and widening your stance should help you to STAY TIGHT in the hole.

As for the way forward, see if this helps you squat without the pain getting worse. If it's the same or better, keep training IMO. Use the NSAID protocol for a week at a time. It will take time to heal, but you should be able to train in the mean time. I'm not a Dr, so this is not "medical" advice...
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 11-17-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Dear coach Franklin

With one reply you managed to fix a year of hip pain and frustration. You were indeed right - really focusing on pushing the knees out (+ a slightly wider stance) seemed to fix the problem instantly. At least I didn't feel a hint of pain in my hips today with 10 extra kg on the bar. Not only did I squat pain free - focusing on pushing my knees out made the squat feel a lot more controlled and stronger. Especially going in and out of the hole.

Now, I know it isn't perfect. I expect you to point out that I'm still relaxing going into the hole a little bit... And also that I'm going too deep? Those are things I'll be working on. Because my lumbar did feel a little stressed after todays work sets. But at least my hip is pain free

I completely forgot:

A very big thank you!!!

OP, watch your second video again. Can you see how rep 1 was different than reps 2-5?

Quote Originally Posted by opf View Post
    I completely forgot:

A very big thank you!!!
    Glad I could help! I'll let Coach Ryan take it from here.

Ryan - Is it that I'm relaxing into the hole in 2-5?

Quote Originally Posted by opf View Post
    Ryan - Is it that I'm relaxing into the hole in 2-5?
    Correct! So just keep focusing on keeping your low back locked in rigid extension and hitting proper depth. Reproduce rep 1 for all the reps and you'll be just fine. Also its probably a good time to order a belt.

starting strength coach development program
    I will try to keep all reps controlled and with a locked back. And I will order a belt if you say so - but I'm curious how you got to that conclusion? Can you tell that my lumbar is getting stressed? Also, isn't it a bit early for me to wear a belt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast