starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain making me sick?

Default Weight gain making me sick?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So it seems like every time I try to gain weight everything will go good for a week or two and then one day I'll just start feeling like garabage if I try to eat. It's really odd I'll feel hungry but when I try to eat I'll get extremely nasaues. Today I started feeling that again and have no idea what it could be. It's not like the feeling of I'm so full I'm going to throw up but just if I eat anything at all I'm going to start gagging on it. Could it be just digestion slowing down and my body not wanting to process more food? Right now I am doing gomad my macros generally fall around 220P 600C 200F started this weight gain faze at 185 and am currently 193 running SSLP lifts are 5rm squat-270 bench-225 deadlift-380 OHP-140

Maybe not do GOMAD? Maybe just start at half a gallon or 1/4 gallon and slowly titrate it up when it becomes necessary to do so.

I sort of did that to get myself used to the milk over about a 3 week period. I don't really think that's the issue though because I've had these symptoms in the past when I wasn't drinking any milk at all

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_quinn View Post
    So it seems like every time I try to gain weight everything will go good for a week or two and then one day I'll just start feeling like garabage if I try to eat. It's really odd I'll feel hungry but when I try to eat I'll get extremely nasaues. Today I started feeling that again and have no idea what it could be. It's not like the feeling of I'm so full I'm going to throw up but just if I eat anything at all I'm going to start gagging on it. Could it be just digestion slowing down and my body not wanting to process more food? Right now I am doing gomad my macros generally fall around 220P 600C 200F started this weight gain faze at 185 and am currently 193 running SSLP lifts are 5rm squat-270 bench-225 deadlift-380 OHP-140
    I had a lot of issues with nausea. This may sound weird but by any chance do you accompany your nausea with a sneeze? Or maybe a few minutes prior? I did. Come to find out there's a nerve that runs all the way up. Vegas nerve. I found that strange. Anyway, bottom line was as I checked off the boxes two things were prominent. One of them was blood sugar. A drop in blood sugar, even though one may not be diabetic, is often accompanied by nausea. A sensation that to me came across as almost a "greasy" feeling in the stomach, as though anything that touched my mouth might make me hurl. It's hard to describe because it's not an "I ate too much" thing. The other thing is a plethora of stomach acid. If you notice a pattern pop something acidic, perhaps a vitamin c chewable. Give the stomach acid, it goes "oh ok, there's plenty here" and turns off and takes the icky feeling with it. Some things can "snap" you out of the nausea, like a sip or two of ginger ale. You can get ginger teas that work, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I had a lot of issues with nausea. This may sound weird but by any chance do you accompany your nausea with a sneeze? Or maybe a few minutes prior? I did. Come to find out there's a nerve that runs all the way up. Vegas nerve. I found that strange. Anyway, bottom line was as I checked off the boxes two things were prominent. One of them was blood sugar. A drop in blood sugar, even though one may not be diabetic, is often accompanied by nausea. A sensation that to me came across as almost a "greasy" feeling in the stomach, as though anything that touched my mouth might make me hurl. It's hard to describe because it's not an "I ate too much" thing. The other thing is a plethora of stomach acid. If you notice a pattern pop something acidic, perhaps a vitamin c chewable. Give the stomach acid, it goes "oh ok, there's plenty here" and turns off and takes the icky feeling with it. Some things can "snap" you out of the nausea, like a sip or two of ginger ale. You can get ginger teas that work, as well.
    Never had a sneeze come with it, but the second thing about to much acid makes sense about 2 years ago I would wake up every morning feeling like I had the stomach flu then I would throw up some stomach bile and pretty much instantly feel better. Eventually I went to the docter and he had me take Prilosec for awhile and the issue went away. ill give the vitamin c chews and ginger ale a try! Thanks for the response

Hesitant to advise here, but the problem might be weak stomach acid. The natural solution is to drink a glass of freshly squeezed lemon juice and unpasteurised cider vinegar in a half pint of water daily.

The other time I feel nauseous is if I'm over training, or am accumulating life stress.Night shift being the absolute worst.

I'll give the lemon juice and cider vinegar a go! And as far as the over training/stress i don't think it's that I defiantly know the feeling you're talking about though, during the summer when school isn't going on I work freight for a grocery store and the shift is 3am - 12pm and you just get that drained feeling along with some constant nauseous.

How in the hell do you have weak stomach acid when it has a ph of 2? Based on your responses, Sam, I would post this to Dr Feigenbaums nutrition section

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Hesitant to advise here, but the problem might be weak stomach acid. The natural solution is to drink a glass of freshly squeezed lemon juice and unpasteurised cider vinegar in a half pint of water daily.
    Yup. That's better than my chewable idea. I'm always hesitant to suggest it, though, because people hate drinking the stuff. But you're absolutely right.

Docs always tend to steer patients towards the meds when often the issue is that the stomach is producing more acid to fight the antacid situation. (Usually because the person's been chewing Tums.) Tagament, Zantac and Prilosec all raise the stomach ph to a dangerous and inconvenient 5.5 to 6.5. High enough for a number of microbes to survive the stomach's acid. God forbid you use the shit for years, you'll end up with almost no acid. (At least according to a study done back in the mid 90's) The Prilosec like grouping of meds is even worse in a way. It will reduce the stomach acid production by up to 95%. So it's not wonder that the body over-produces to compensate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Yup. That's better than my chewable idea. I'm always hesitant to suggest it, though, because people hate drinking the stuff. But you're absolutely right.

Docs always tend to steer patients towards the meds when often the issue is that the stomach is producing more acid to fight the antacid situation. (Usually because the person's been chewing Tums.) Tagament, Zantac and Prilosec all raise the stomach ph to a dangerous and inconvenient 5.5 to 6.5. High enough for a number of microbes to survive the stomach's acid. God forbid you use the shit for years, you'll end up with almost no acid. (At least according to a study done back in the mid 90's) The Prilosec like grouping of meds is even worse in a way. It will reduce the stomach acid production by up to 95%. So it's not wonder that the body over-produces to compensate.
    Both my wife and I had acid reflux/heartburn before taking cider vinegar and lemon juice. We can now eat anything we want and no more reflux at night.

I'm always hesitant to post naturopathic remedies because I don't know if there is any scienctific evidence for them. It might well be quackery for all I know, but it worked for both of us.

You can get cider vinegar tablets if you don't like the vinegar taste- it's not the pleasantest of things even in half a pint of water. It also chews up tooth enamel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast