starting strength gym

Thread: Clunking noise/feeling in right knee

Default Clunking noise/feeling in right knee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I'd like to get some feedback on a clunking/popping that's occurring in my right knee. I did get it inspected by a doctor, and he thinks it's a patella tracking issue. I have PT starting 12/1. That being said, I'd like to crowdsource this and see if anyone has insights/familiarity with the symptoms.

Lifting background & stats:
    I did the SSLP from January-May, peaked at 225, 275, 115, 185 (squat, deadlift, press, bench). Currently trying to restart LP.
    Bodyweight: 195lb
    Height: 6'1"
    Bodyfat: unsure... 15-20%?

Injury background:
    Here's a video that captures the clunking noise:
    YouTube
    There's a bit of an echo in the video, but it captures the sound fairly well.

The clunking began mid-July. I haven't had any noteworthy knee injury previously in life. Also, I don't recall any traumatic event around the time the clunking started (other than the usual banging my knees took from the bar during a mis-timed clean... could that be related?).

Currently, if my knee bends past 90 degrees, it often (not always) clunks as it straightens out (i.e. coming up out of a squat). As a result I've only been doing light squats or none at all, since I'm not sure what exactly is going on. There's no pain now, nor has there ever been. At most there's a minor irritated feeling just to the side of my patella tendon (picture below).

KneeIrritationArea.jpg

Has anyone encountered similar symptoms?

Thanks for reading this far.

-Greg

What do your squats look like?

They need work. I'm having trouble with overextending my back and staying tight. Here's a link to my latest form check videos:

Squat form check
    (Jeff, one of the comments is from you - thanks for the feedback)

Have you made any of the suggested changes? Has there been any impact on your knee?

Unless there is pain just continue training normally

When I really focus on shoving my knees out, there's usually only ~1 knee pop per 5 reps. Still no pain. I'll slowly start increasing the weight next workout.

Re. form: it's a work in progress...
    Here's a link to today's videos in the technique forum:
    Squat form check

Thanks again.

An update in case someone experiences a similar problem:

In an effort to keep my knees out, my right foot was not staying planted to the floor. Inside my shoe, the ball of the foot tended to lift off the ground. Keeping that foot planted seems to fix most of the joint clunking.

starting strength coach development program
    Another update that might help some folks in the future:

I followed the PT/doc thread to a conclusion. PT didn't help, after a few months the doc ordered an MRI. Turns out there's a tear in the lateral meniscus of my right knee, which the doctors (I got a second opinion) believe to be the cause of the catching sensation and popping sound. Since there's only occasional minor irritation and no popping if I use proper form, they recommended I continue working out as usual and discontinue PT.

That's what I've done, and so far so good.