starting strength gym

Thread: Epsom salt bath

Default Epsom salt bath

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    People claim that epsom salt baths alleviate soreness. Quackery or legit?

There is published research on this. Probably more placebo or the effect of warm water than the salt. But it's a cheap thing to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    There is published research on this. Probably more placebo or the effect of warm water than the salt. But it's a cheap thing to try.
    IIRC,

The magnesium and whatnot can not be readily absorbed thru your skin . . . and/or nothing can be "Drawn" back out thru it.

I do find bath salts make certain bubble bath mixtures foam up a bit more, so there's that.

"Calgon take me away!"

I swear by a hot bath weekly for recovery. Hot, very hot. But I make no claim that it has any legitimate recovery benefit that can be proven with the scientific method, the data is not there.

But damn it feels great. Its’s my thing.

Probably a conspiracy of the epsom salt council... but they have a small study that shows absorption: http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/wp-c...um_sulfate.pdf

I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes, but it is relaxing, and being relaxed helps me recover.

Somewhat off topic- My BIL & his wife swear by the wonders of epsom salt. When our 1 yo was constipated they brought us a bag of epsom salt for a bath that would clear everything out. Warm bath I get but epsom salt, come on. Evidently I wasn't in the best control of my involuntary eye roll at the time because I apparently offended them. This is of course the same BIL whose 1st wife urinated on Drano crystals to determine what the sex of their baby would be. Blue = boy, green = girl or some shit. I was able to control my eye roll upon hearing that one but couldn't help but contribute a deadpan reply "yeah, I heard about that. It's supposed to work 50% of the time". That didn't go over too well either though my wife & FIL laughed for about 10 minutes straight.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't know about the salt, but a hot soak can fix a tired aching body, especially for us older lifters...