starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow pain

Default Elbow pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am currently squatting 155kg/345lb during my ss lp. Since squating 145kg/320lb i have suffered significant elbow pain. Anatomically at the proximal foreaem attachment (i.e the elbow) lateral to the bicep tendon but a throbing radiating pain medial to the lateral epicondyle. It is painful enough that i cannot bench nor press my current ss lp weights 107.5kg/236lb and 68.75kg/152lb respectively.

What is my move from here? I am easily progressing at a novice lp rate (recovery in 48hrs) for lower body lifts but the pain is preventing me from consistently train upper body press movements and thus preventing me from gaining pressing strength.

Rip's attitude to elbow pain judging by previous posts means that i cannot NOT train upper body. I am 99% sure the pain is due to my squatting form, i struggle to position the bar low enough on my back due to shoulder pain and lack of flexibility. Judging by previous posts i may be positioning the bar too low.

I currently place the bar just inferior to the spine of scapula (although my placement may be anatomically incorrect to the marker i am placing it at due to miscued sensory information (i.e far lower than the spine of scapula as perceived))

Whilst working on my squatting form is 80% of my 5rm for press movements sufficient to prevent detraining whilst allowing for healing at the specific point of pain? Or should I stop training or increase the intensity? What is the optimal % weight to allow healing and rehab?

I feel on the ss lp i should be able to reach AT LEAST a 3x5 of 405lb/180lb squat and 260/120kg bench with ease if it wasn't for this pain.

(apologies for the long post, written whilst intoxicated)

If it were ME in this situation, I'd take some extra NSAIDS for a week or two while I get this problem figured out so I don't have to slow down my LP. Of course I'm not a doctor so I could not officially recommend that for you. Try to get someone to get a picture or up close video of the position of the bar on your back/wrists/elbow position while you squat. Then post here or in technique section. That's step #1. In the meantime search this forum for elbow tendinitis as it is a popular topic with many possible remedies

I don't think lowering the weight slightly will provide anything but a tiny difference for elbow pain. Once it gets heavy enough to cause tendinitis, then the volume is going to dictate how bad the tendinitis gets. You can try doing two sets of triples or a 1 set of near 5rm, but you are still going to detrain a bit, just slower.

I did Rip's chinning protocol several times when my elbow pain got really bad and it has worked for me. Afterwards, as long as I chin twice a week I don't get elbow pain. If I stop chinning, it will come back in 3-6 weeks. I know a lot of people recommend NSAIDs, but I haven't found they provided any help, exception being taking them before training so I am able to bench with less discomfort during a flare up.

You should definitely figure out whats causing the pain (form wise) and fix it.

But until then, why don't you put your upper body lifts first..... That way you can do those full force before your arm is in pain. That's what I did.

Am I the only one impressed by the diction WHILST intoxicated?

Mark Bell's perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Mark Bell's perspective...

There's definitely a need to balance Bell's perspective with the use-any-and-every-little-pain-to-justifiy-missing-workouts mentality. I think the balanced perspective is close to Austin and Jordan's philosophy of "What are you going to do, not train?" I don't think you should just generally ignore any and all pain, but you shouldn't assume that any and all pain is meaningful.

I've been training through and around pain for at least 15 years. If I ever wake up without some kind of pain I'll know that I'm dead.

P.S. Don't you ever get tired of parroting Austin & Jordan? It's actually pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    P.S. Don't you ever get tired of parroting Austin & Jordan? It's actually pretty pathetic.
    *Cough cough* Louie Simmons *Cough Cough* Mark Bell *Cough Cough* The Rhino

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    *Cough cough* Louie Simmons *Cough Cough* Mark Bell *Cough Cough* The Rhino
    3 of the most knowledgable people in the strength world. You should do something about that cough.