starting strength gym

Thread: Push ups during recovery

Default Push ups during recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Around 50 days ago, in a light warm up squat set I sprained by back in a big way. I was surprised at it as that was just a 135lb set, 2nd of the three warm ups. I decided to stop all activities for 6 weeks to enable heeling. Went on Etoricoxib (anti inflammatory pain reliever) for one week. Within 3 days, 70% pain was gone. I continued to rest as I was nowhere near normal. After 2 weeks post injuries, I could not resist to play 4 days of back to back golf. Nothing happened except for pain in waist post the golf sessions. After 21 days, I played indoor soccer (fulsol) for just about 15 mins and all hell broke loose. The back was nearly as stiff as after injury. It took 24 hours and one etoricoxib to recover. After 40 days of injury, I finally decided to go to a doctor. I didn't have ongoing pain but the back is sensitive and starts to pain and get stiff after constant movements like running or lifting light weights - basically still injured. Well, he xrays (that I haven't gone back to pick) and puts me back on etoricoxib and adds Myonal (muscle relaxant) for 7 days. Now post 48 days, situation is the same. Back is sensitive. Gets tight and will become painful if I take a trip down the football ground. I can't wait get back to an active life. It is getting depressing!

So I have started to do push ups. Unfortunately I have ended up in a very busy work schedule as well and really can't risk any injuries/recovery time for this month of December. I am spending long hours (12 to 16) every weekday at work. So I am doing one set of push ups every 4 hours (while I am awake) to stay tight, strong and avoid any kind of atrophy kicking in. No impact on back it seems.

1. Is this pushup-every-4-hours idea stupid?
    2. What can I do to get fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    Around 50 days ago, in a light warm up squat set I sprained by back in a big way. I was surprised at it as that was just a 135lb set, 2nd of the three warm ups. I decided to stop all activities for 6 weeks to enable heeling. Went on Etoricoxib (anti inflammatory pain reliever) for one week. Within 3 days, 70% pain was gone. I continued to rest as I was nowhere near normal. After 2 weeks post injuries, I could not resist to play 4 days of back to back golf. Nothing happened except for pain in waist post the golf sessions. After 21 days, I played indoor soccer (fulsol) for just about 15 mins and all hell broke loose. The back was nearly as stiff as after injury. It took 24 hours and one etoricoxib to recover. After 40 days of injury, I finally decided to go to a doctor. I didn't have ongoing pain but the back is sensitive and starts to pain and get stiff after constant movements like running or lifting light weights - basically still injured. Well, he xrays (that I haven't gone back to pick) and puts me back on etoricoxib and adds Myonal (muscle relaxant) for 7 days. Now post 48 days, situation is the same. Back is sensitive. Gets tight and will become painful if I take a trip down the football ground. I can't wait get back to an active life. It is getting depressing!

So I have started to do push ups. Unfortunately I have ended up in a very busy work schedule as well and really can't risk any injuries/recovery time for this month of December. I am spending long hours (12 to 16) every weekday at work. So I am doing one set of push ups every 4 hours (while I am awake) to stay tight, strong and avoid any kind of atrophy kicking in. No impact on back it seems.

1. Is this pushup-every-4-hours idea stupid?
    2. What can I do to get fixed?
    I am 40 years old btw. Not new to the program and doing it for last 5 years in its proper form but an active athlete with lifting weights as part of my regular fitness regimen for last 20 years. I should not have more than normal recover time (if not actually better than normal individuals).

I am 40 years old btw. Not new to the program and doing it for last 5 years in its proper form but an active athlete with lifting weights as part of my regular fitness regimen for last 20 years. I should not have more than normal recover time (if not actually better than normal individuals).
    And my typical set of push ups is 20 to 25 dips.

Uh. What do you mean when you have been doing the program for 5 years in its proper form?

I think you need to drop the pushups and get back under the bar and start squatting and deadlifting again.

There are some useful articles around here about back injuries and such. I suggest you check them out

And post videos of your squat and deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    And post videos of your squat and deadlift
    Ok. I will. Should I try the warm up sets? But by proper form I meant the fives of squat, bench, dead lift, clean and presses.

What do you mean should you try the warm up sets? Or did you mean film the warm ups? You should always do warm up sets and yes you can film your warm ups. That’s cool.

What I meant by asking about the program was....have you completed the novice linear progression? If yes, and you’re now an intermediate, what program are you doing now? Have you been able to see a coach?

Height? Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    What do you mean should you try the warm up sets? Or did you mean film the warm ups? You should always do warm up sets and yes you can film your warm ups. That’s cool.

What I meant by asking about the program was....have you completed the novice linear progression? If yes, and you’re now an intermediate, what program are you doing now? Have you been able to see a coach?

Height? Weight?
    Hi, I am doing 5 sets of bench, press, squat, dead lift and clean - besides any warm ups.

I will film the warm up set for now as i will not go into work sets until I am confident.

I am 5'10 inch and 188 lbs.

Hi, I am doing 5 sets of bench, press, squat, dead lift and clean - besides any warm ups.

I will film the warm up set for now as i will not go into work sets until I am confident.

I am 5'10 inch and 188 lbs.
    And no coach. The book is the coah and youtube. I am in Philippines

starting strength coach development program
    Cool man! You can post several videos to the technique forum where lots of people can comment, and pretty quickly. You can also post 1 video to the SS Q&A, where coaches will look at it, but this may take time before they see it because they are quite busy. Be sure to read the stickies for both sections on how to film so we can best help you and get you back on the mend!