starting strength gym

Thread: Adductor/Groin Strain & Rehab

Default Adductor/Groin Strain & Rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Currently on a HLM program and I think I pulled a groin muscle last Monday while squatting on my last work set at 330lbs. I was able to complete the last rep, but felt pain and tightness high up on my inner left thigh. No noticeable bruising, so I don't think it's severe. I've never had a previous groin injury and have never had any discomfort squatting. No issues while I was on SSLP. I was very sore Monday night and through Tuesday (hurt like hell to lift my leg off the ground or put on shoes and socks). The pain started to dissipate as the week progressed, and I didn't squat on Wednesday or Friday, but was able to do upper body work and deadlift was fine as well. I tried to squat yesterday and was okay during my warm up sets, but had to rack the weight after the first rep of my first work set. Same issue. Very painful last last night and today, just like last week.

Any advice on recovery? I've read on the boards about the Starr Protocol, but I'm unsure whether that's for more severe muscle tears. Again, I don't have any bruising that would suggest a major tear. Should I just discontinue squatting for a couple of weeks? Should I continue, but go very light weight? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie95 View Post
    Currently on a HLM program and I think I pulled a groin muscle last Monday while squatting on my last work set at 330lbs. I was able to complete the last rep, but felt pain and tightness high up on my inner left thigh. No noticeable bruising, so I don't think it's severe. I've never had a previous groin injury and have never had any discomfort squatting. No issues while I was on SSLP. I was very sore Monday night and through Tuesday (hurt like hell to lift my leg off the ground or put on shoes and socks). The pain started to dissipate as the week progressed, and I didn't squat on Wednesday or Friday, but was able to do upper body work and deadlift was fine as well. I tried to squat yesterday and was okay during my warm up sets, but had to rack the weight after the first rep of my first work set. Same issue. Very painful last last night and today, just like last week.

Any advice on recovery? I've read on the boards about the Starr Protocol, but I'm unsure whether that's for more severe muscle tears. Again, I don't have any bruising that would suggest a major tear. Should I just discontinue squatting for a couple of weeks? Should I continue, but go very light weight? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Starr Protocol. If you need to point the toes out a little less than normal at first, that's fine, just work them back to 30 degrees as you go.

I had this in my glute. I'd recommend lowering the weight, do >10, <20 reps, and build it back up. It might bother you from time to time but it will go away. When I felt the discomfort, I massaged the spot hard with my thumb. Often my friends and family were weirded out with my ass rubbing, but eventually they got used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Starr Protocol. If you need to point the toes out a little less than normal at first, that's fine, just work them back to 30 degrees as you go.
    Thank you for the response. I will begin the Starr Protocol today. Just a couple of follow up questions.

1) It looks like I should avoid any other lifting (including upper body exercises) while rehabbing. Is that true for a strain or is that only applicable for a full tear. Just want to make sure I'm following Starr correctly.

2) After the two weeks, is there a recommendation for resetting my work set weight? IOW, if my last work sets were 330lbs for 3 sets of 3 reps, is there a percentage offset you would recommend after finishing the rehab and then then build back up over time?

Thanks!

I tore my adductor and tried Starr. Didn't work as fast as two weeks though. Took me 10 months to heal mine but I definitely had a more serious tear as I fell with the weight because I lost control of my leg.

Basically just run Starr and if it still hurts just do what you can and go by pain RPE. If it hurts/throbs, take weight down etc. Deadlift with your toes forward though, you should still be able to pull heavy this way.