starting strength gym

Thread: Knackered hip :( what to do

Default Knackered hip :( what to do

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi

I am experiencing some pretty sharp hip pain that seemed to come on after a couple of weeks in advanced novice stage LP (yeah, I've re-started a few times now).
    Didn't seem to happen at any given point but has ruined a couple of sessions now and leaves me barely walking sometimes after lifting.

The pain is mostly in the posterior of my right hip at the bottom, it's quite sharp there when walking sometimes. It's also very painful and tight along the rear of the glute up to just above my hip (sacrum area?) on the same side immediately after re-racking a squat and particularly after standing up after putting the last deadlift of a set down. I have backed the weight off on both these exercises now but it seems to flare up no matter what weight or rep-range I use. Also seems to kick in when standing after sitting for some time and getting up in the morning or rolling over in bed.

Whilst playing around with the deadlift and squat at light weights I think I discovered that I may have a LLD on the right side (not sure if this is what caused the issue). Whilst setting up on the deadlift I made sure the bar was perfectly lined up and took my grip. Then when I go to place my shins on the bar the left one touches first with the right side needing to drop a little before contacting. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is but thought best mention.

Apologies for the long post just interested to know if anyone has had a similiar issue, it's been a couple of weeks now with no change in the pain so wondering do I need to take a break completely and wait it out? Go to the doc? I will take steps to address the possible LLD regardless.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts

Jim

Forgot to add:

Male, 33, 5'7, 205lbs

Last work weights before problem started were:
    Squat - 340x5x1 + 308x5x2
    Dead - 350x5x1
    Press - 140x3x5
    Bench - 200x3x5

No cleans, alternate chins and rows on non-deadlifting days. My upper body strength is lagging somewhat, but at this rate may get a chance to catch up I guess..

I get some hip pain that sounds like it's in a similar location to you, but mine only happens when I'm not lifting. In my case I think it is from babying my knee (something is messed up in my knee). I don't have a fix for you though, sorry.

Have you tried the "Agile 8?"

Check this out if you haven't already: Leg Length Discrepancy | Mark Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the advice folks. Have started with some mobility stuff and the physio I saw couldn't find any significant LLD. Guess my setup and stance needs some more attention.