starting strength gym

Thread: Knee tightness at bottom of squat

Default Knee tightness at bottom of squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quick background, a few weeks ago I was rushing down 12 flights of stairs in my condo - fire alarm - and when I was near the bottom I felt a sharp-ish pain in my left knee, but sort of kept going, just slower. Didn't feel much after that till I squatted about a week later. The squats themselves were fine, but when I was doing single leg press, my left knee started hurting again so I stopped 1 set early. Moved over to leg extensions, and felt it again in my left knee so stopped 1 set early.

In the 1 week between then and now, I've been icing my knee multiple times daily, foam rolling my IT bands, and generally resting it and not putting too much pressure on it. I also supplement consistently with Omega 3 and have been doing so for many years. For the most part, around 90-95% of the time, I don't feel much, but that 5-10% of the time, it just sort of feels like a pressure/tightness on it, not so much pain.

I squatted today as heavy as usual, wearing sleeves, and the best I can describe what I feel is at the bottom of the squat, I feel like it's stretching/tightness, not really pain, hard to explain, but it's more like a tight stretchy feeling. Kept my sleeves on for about 1 hour after that and now at home it's much better. I also get a similar feeling when I fully extend the knee.

In short, bending it and squatting down (body weight squat) doesn't actually hurt, it just doesn't feel like my right knee which is normal - this is sort of a very slightly restrictive stretchy feeling. Felt it most when I had weight on the bar, and I squat below parallel.

Based on this description, anyone had anything similar, or have any idea what it could be?

How old are you? Eventually, this is how your entire body will feel.

If this shit were easy, everyone would be yoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    How old are you? Eventually, this is how your entire body will feel.

If this shit were easy, everyone would be yoked.
    I'm 31. I guess I'm at that age where this sort of thing is bound to start happening.

I went to a physio the other day and he checked my knee, and said it's basically softening of the cartilage under the knee cap. Quick google search and this I believe is chondromalacia patellae.

He mentioned it wasn't serious and said mine is quite minor. He gave me some stretches to do, and said I need to strengthen my quads, hams, and roll out my IT bands, all of which I've been doing. I also got a heating pad today and will start using that on and around the knee cap.

My concern is that I don't want this to limit my squatting. To be quite honest I feel much better in my knees after squatting - yes there's some minor pain/tightness during the squat, more so at the bottom, but when I'm done, I feel much better in that area.

Would you folks say this is common, can it get better or even completely heal, and would low-bar full squats work to strengthen the knee?

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    chondromalacia patellae.
    Isn't that a chronic condition? Sounds like your injury was acute

I had something similar. Knee felt fine unless I went into full squat--like a baseball catcher. Then would get very sharp pain on the inside of my knee.

My problem was tight hamstrings. The hamstring was pulling on a bursa sack in the front of the inside of my knee (sorry for lack of anatomical terms). I believe it was specifically this: Pes Anserine (Knee Tendon) Bursitis - OrthoInfo - AAOS

Anyways, that was my problem. Not sure if it is exactly like yours. It has been a few years, but if I recall correctly, I believe it got better with lots of hamstring stretches and improving my squat form (which sucked!!).