starting strength gym

Thread: Possible Hernia?

Default Possible Hernia?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not sure how to describe it but when I breath in to brace my left lower abdominal area kinda moves outward? It's right on the "Adonis belt" area... My right side of the "belt" is fine, could it be a muscle imbalance between the two sides causing this?

Quote Originally Posted by MattPwrLft88 View Post
    could it be a muscle imbalance between the two sides causing this?
    Very unlikely. Go get it checked, hernias are easy to fix. The longer you wait, the bigger they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Very unlikely. Go get it checked, hernias are easy to fix. The longer you wait, the bigger they get.
    +1

Hernias don't get better, they just get bigger.

Got mine fixed the end of August '17. Glad I did.

Get your doc to look at it. He'll likely send you to a surgeon for a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair. The "test" is kind of weird and involves your doc poking his fingers in your junk - and then cough. You kinda can't go directly to the surgeon - need a referral.

I've had both sides done. My first was 30-ish years ago (left). They made a long incision (4-5 inches). Pretty much recovered in 2 months. First two weeks were rough. Had another (right side) blow out last year. It may or may not have been related to a 330lb squat - me thinks yes. I let it linger for several months which really sucked because as mentioned here, they just get worse and I wouldn't/couldn't lift - or at least so I thought.

The good news is that strangulations with gangrene are very rare. The likey big downside is the inability to work out (and general discomfort). I spoke to my doc (GP) who is also a good friend. He said he let his go for eleven years before getting it repaired?!

I feel for you but the really really good news is that the new procedures are awesome. I literally felt like I could have gotten out of recovery and gone straight to work. The anesthetics are better and the new minimally invasive techniques are great. I had three incisions: one on the lower edge of the belly button, and two a couple inches lower. Recovery was phenomenally good (at 56 years old). Doc told me to hold off on squats and deads for a few weeks.

In general, if the left side goes, your chances of the right side going are the same as anyone else. If the right side goes, the left will be soon to follow. It's mostly a genetic thing, so next time pick better parents - make sure they have a ridiculous SVJ as well.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Quote Originally Posted by GammaFlat View Post

I feel for you but the really really good news is that the new procedures are awesome. I literally felt like I could have gotten out of recovery and gone straight to work. The anesthetics are better and the new minimally invasive techniques are great. I had three incisions: one on the lower edge of the belly button, and two a couple inches lower. Recovery was phenomenally good (at 56 years old). Doc told me to hold off on squats and deads for a few weeks.

In general, if the left side goes, your chances of the right side going are the same as anyone else. If the right side goes, the left will be soon to follow. It's mostly a genetic thing, so next time pick better parents - make sure they have a ridiculous SVJ as well.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.
    Same for me, three small incisions. Went in for a right side repair with the understanding that if he saw a hernial on the left while he was in there he would repair it. Ended up doing a bilateral repair. Never needed anything stronger than acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain. Back in the gym at 10 days post op.

Look at this Dr, he gives his patients no restrictions after:

On the third post-operative day, unless told differently by me, you have FULL UNRESTRICTED physical activity. There is no limitation, and the more you do, the quicker the pain and discomfort will disappear. Some discomfort and pain is normal. Your body will set your limits, though it is ok to be aggressive.
    Post-Operative Instructions for Hernia Repair Surgery - Dr. Mark Reiner

Edit: Wanted to say that the doctor I quoted gives no restrictions after 48hr.

BTW, I am 62 and recovered extremely quickly.

EDIT: Wasn't a hernia thank god, all good.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPwrLft88 View Post
    EDIT: Wasn't a hernia thank god, all good.
    Well, what was it then? Sate our curiosity