starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Linear Progression" for Sleep: a trial of sleep restriction therapy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had some late nights and late mornings over the weekend, but last night I added an extra half hour (10:30pm - 6:00am) and slept the whole night through! I also recorded my sleep but the app I used stopped recording at 6 hours. Still should provide some useful data. I'll continue to record and then parse the data sometime in the next week or two.

If you're honestly worried about something important and yes, sleep is important, do yourself a favor and see a doctor and get tests done. Knowledge is power.

You can get an at-home sleep study and your doc can prescribe it. Insurance will usually cover it since it is way cheaper than a sleep lab. Here's a site:
    NovaSom | Home Sleep Testing for Sleep Apnea

Also I have been struggling with poor sleep and a likelihood of increased apnea. Turns out I was diagnosed with low testosterone. One of the symptoms of secondary hypogonadism is poor sleep patterns and increasing apnea. If you are sleeping through the night and waking up groggy, and have low-energy NEED NAP NOW kind of feelings every afternoon, you need to go get checked.

hey man, how's the program working for you now? i'm in the exact same place or even worse, your update seemed promising so i wonder how's everything now? cheers!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by renzhenghe View Post
    hey man, how's the program working for you now? i'm in the exact same place or even worse, your update seemed promising so i wonder how's everything now? cheers!
    Yeah...I kind of let this thread go. Had a busy few months. Sorry about that.

I carried on for another couple of weeks sticking to strict bed time and wake time, and eventually fell out of the habit because I was back to sleeping ~8 hours reasonably well. I have reverted to my previous general bedtime of 10-1030, sometimes earlier and sometimes later. My wake time is as needed, usually before 630am (lately 5am).

I started using nose strips which help me breathe through my nose when it is congested but don't really help the snoring.

I experimented with different sleeping positions and found one that stops my snoring 100%. I am naturally a side sleeper, but I realized that I also tend to sleep with my chin out/head tilted back, which I think makes it more likely for my tongue to occlude my airway in my sleep. I just shift the pillows a bit to allow me to sleep with my chin more tucked in and mouth angled slightly downward so that gravity pulls my tongue toward the front of my mouth rather than the back. No more snoring and no more waking up gasping for breath.

I still wake up once or twice every night on average, but I fall right back asleep within a minute or two. I almost never nap during the day. I never wake up at night to pee. I have not had a worry about sleep in weeks despite having days requiring later bedtime or earlier wake time.

I do think the sleep restriction helped physiologically. I also think taking action to address my sleep helped me psychologically--maybe something about transforming idle anxiety into active, productive anxiety helps get rid of it. I recommend giving it a shot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234